Roller lifter cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
What oil filter are you using? Does it have an anti-drainback valve? If not, get a filter that has the anti-drainback valve and see (hear) what happens.

I'll have to look. I dont recall offhand. I was under the impression that only racing filters didnt have them now days. It may be a AC Delco.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that only racing filters didnt have them now days. It may be a AC Delco.
As an example, WIX has 2 different styles too, the 51061 doesn't have an Anti-Drainback Valve while the 51060 does. They both don't have a bypass valve either. On my new engine, Blue Print specs 51061. Keep in mind, if you're running the filter in a vertical position, you don't need one. In a 4X4 with a horizontal orientation, you do.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an example, WIX has 2 different styles too, the 51061 doesn't have an Anti-Drainback Valve while the 51060 does. They both don't have a bypass valve either.
Truth.

Ford (and Mopar, and others, since they use the same filter) often has a bypass valve in the filter (totally crazy) when GM puts the bypass valve in the filter adapter where it can be examined from time-to-time.

Keep in mind, if you're running the filter in a vertical position, you don't need one. In a 4X4 with a horizontal orientation, you do.
Not entirely true. With the filter vertical, the FILTER won't drain back. But there's a heap of oil gallery above the filter that will, if the filter doesn't have a drainback valve.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not entirely true. With the filter vertical, the FILTER won't drain back. But there's a heap of oil gallery above the filter that will, if the filter doesn't have a drainback valve.
Which makes me wonder why Blue Print recommends the 51061. Why would arguably one of the best engine manufacturers take a chance of a dry start due to the filter?

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Gen v/vi 454 has a anti drain back valve in the block. 2 valves actually that when the engine is running operate on a bias (11psi) to move oil through the cooler. The center valve also acts as a anti drain back valve when the engine is off.
With the valve installed you don't need a filter with the anti drain back feature. Without that valve you do. Plenty of arguments on the net about pros/cons of them 2 valves.