Roller lifter cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 30 roller lifters i saved from 2, 454 engines that were working fine when removed.
I plan on cleaning up 16 of them for reuse. Probably a dumb question, but can a guy just take em all apart, clean, inspect all the parts and reassemble them or better to just do it 1 at a time not mixing up any parts?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've taken apart the small block lifters, it's pretty simple. I don't see a reason why you couldn't mix and match the guts. Lucky you, the big block lifters were over $400 a set when I bought mine. Compare that to the then $120 for the small block/LS lifters.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 30 roller lifters i saved from 2, 454 engines that were working fine when removed.
I plan on cleaning up 16 of them for reuse. Probably a dumb question, but can a guy just take em all apart, clean, inspect all the parts and reassemble them or better to just do it 1 at a time not mixing up any parts?
Given your user name it should be us asking you this question...

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have never taken one apart, nor have I been involvoed in thier manufacturing, but given the option, I think I'd do one at a time. I'd assume each part is made to a tolerance, and then the final assembly is held to a tolerance. Sometimes you can have a stack up of measurements that pushes a final product out of spec even though the individual pieces are all in spec. You only have one chance to preserve the assumed final assembly spec, and that's now.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've taken apart the small block lifters, it's pretty simple. I don't see a reason why you couldn't mix and match the guts.
NO! NO no no!

I think I'd do one at a time. I'd assume each part is made to a tolerance, and then the final assembly is held to a tolerance. Sometimes you can have a stack up of measurements that pushes a final product out of spec even though the individual pieces are all in spec. You only have one chance to preserve the assumed final assembly spec, and that's now.
YES!

DO NOT mix and match parts from lifters, in particular the lifter body and lifter plunger. (the check-valves and metering valves and springs are no big deal.) Hydraulic lifters are THE most-precisely manufactured parts in an automobile. The clearance between lifter body and lifter plunger determine the leakdown rate of the lifter assembly. Plungers are select-fit to the lifter body, to maintain an incredibly fine clearance tolerance.

You'll find this same advice in factory service manuals...if you go back far enough in time where this sort of work was routinely done. In later years, the lifters would merely be scrapped for "new"; when "new" lifters of decent quality weren't rare. There were even GM "special tools" for testing the leakdown rate of the reconditioned lifter.

Hydraulic lifters are like miniature oil filters. The oil pathway into the lifter is relatively gigantic. The oil pathway OUT of the lifter is microscopic--that ultraprecise clearance between plunger and body. Debris, sludge, etc. get in, but can't get out. Cleaning them one at a time is a fine idea.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
NO! NO no no!

YES!

DO NOT mix and match parts from lifters, in particular the lifter body and lifter plunger. Hydraulic lifters are THE most-precisely manufactured parts in an automobile. The clearance between lifter body and lifter plunger determine the leakdown rate of the lifter assembly.

Hydraulic lifters are like miniature oil filters. The oil pathway into the lifter is relatively gigantic. The oil pathway OUT of the lifter is microscopic--that ultraprecise clearance between plunger and body. Debris, sludge, etc. get in, but can't get out. Cleaning them one at a time is a fine idea.

The lifter manufacturers actually take the time to measure the individual components and match them accordingly?

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i know doing them each is the better way. Was hoping everyone said Ohya do it all the time no problem.
Thanks guys.