Roller detent pin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to replace the door roller pin on my 98 and refuse to buy anything from Dorman. Their version requires either widening the hinge hole or filing down the new part to make it fit. They’re selling a part that they know does not fit without modification and I’m done with fooling with (stuff) like that.

I can get the GM version, but wonder how the top end can be secured. From the factory, it’s mushroomed down while the D-word company’s version uses a clip.

Short of welding (I don’t have a welder), do y’all have any suggestions on how to put a clip or something on the top end of the GM part to secure it? Is there such a thing as a self-cutting nut?

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahh, I see - that’s what I was thinking of. Thanks, I appreciate it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Only issue I see with a pal nut is they are typically very thin material and used for cutting threads in softer materials such as plastic (that's what is holding your corner markers and grille emblems on, for example.)

You can't find someone nearby with a welder you could just throw them a few bucks to tack the thing in place? Then go home and install the spring...

Richard

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, Richard, that’s not a bad idea and I’ll keep that in mind. Got the part in today and will do the roller and bushings this weekend.

I’m going to just pull the door off. Is pressing this thing in the way to go versus beating the snark out of it with a hammer?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In case someone runs into it, the GM version fit perfectly. I pressed it in with a clamp for a bit and tapped the rest in with a hammer. Took maybe a minute.

No grinding or cussing required like the dorman version. A common trend.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wondered that, too, and was trying to think of how they installed it at the factory and just duplicate that.

Best guess is they put some cuts in the top of the pin and pressed it down, but would think that it had to be before they welded the hinge onto the body as there isn’t a lot of room.

However they did it, it had to have been quick and easy ($).

RonRonnster

Reaction score
OP - what did you do to get the old pin out? And how did you secure the new pin on top - or did you press it in and call it good? I need to do this on both of my front doors soon.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cut the top mushroomed part off (hacksaw, grinder) and tap it out. It seems tight enough as-is, but a bit of a weld would probably be ideal at the top. Another option would be to cut a ring into it for an e-clip or maybe try to cut threads with a die.

Last edited: