Rocky: The Redneck Plow Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Oh no, I can confirm this is a distributor problem. Had that SAME exact start issue a few months ago (I think I have a thread on that), swapped the distributor cap (didn't have to swap the rotor) and bam, she fired right up.
It would make sense, just couldn't confirm since the plugs were so wet.
That 1345 code is cam/crank correlation, out more than 2 degrees one way or the other.

Want the cheap fix? Take your distributor hold down tab and notch out the bolt hole so you can rotate the cap forwards and back. It won't take much, adjust, wing it to 2000rpm and check the cam offset. Once it's inside of +/- 2 degrees you're golden. Won't fix the misfires or stumbling bullshit, but it will get rid of the engine light

...or put some timing gears in it. Whichever
I messed around trying to get the timing set a while ago with a crappy Matco scan tool. It was originally showing at about 23 degrees and i got it to 11 by moving the distributor a tooth. I couldn't seem to get any more out of it. Ill get into it more once nice weather shows up for good.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Here's the pic of the plug threads. Luckily they just broke due to rust and not because they were overtightened or cross threaded.
You must be registered for see images attach

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Probably because theyve never been changed lol
Now that you mention it the part numbers on them did seem a bit outdated, I want to say they were AC Delco 14? Funny thing is I had done the drivers side first, all 4 came out like butter. First two on the pass side snapped. The other two look even worse, i skipped over one because i couldn't get the 5/8 socket on because of the rust. They look like the engine sat outside and had water resting on the plug area on the one side.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Niiiicccce... I bet those were a ***** to get out with the rust. I think your truck with thank you by getting new plugs for it, will probably run a tiny bit better than when you bought it, lol.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Completely forgot I had this post! Still have the truck, still running exactly the same, plowed great this past season as usual. I did paint it last summer a deeper shade of blue. Also had a junky fiberglass cowl hood and popped that on in favor of the trashed stock hood. Don't have that painted to match yet though.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
The 2" cowl looks perfect on it, the 4" just looked out of place.