Rocker arm too loose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saab84mw

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my freshly rebuilt L29 454 installed in the truck when I noticed the intake rocker on #2 was looser than the rest of them so I swapped it with the #1 intake rocker which was pretty tight and that # 1 rocker was also loose on the #2 intake.

the rest of the rockers at are pretty tight too.

This engine has not been ran yet.

Any thoughts on what is wrong?

I will try to post a video

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
No experience here, but have you verified the balls (or whatever they're called) are not worn? In you rvideo you're swapping all the parts at once. The other thing that comes to mind, is what about that lifter/rod?

Saab84mw

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No experience here, but have you verified the balls (or whatever they're called) are not worn? In you rvideo you're swapping all the parts at once. The other thing that comes to mind, is what about that lifter/rod?

Yes that was the plan is to check the pushrod length to see if maybe that’s it

Everything else on the valve train has been replaced except for the rocker arms they are the factory ones. Valve springs, retainers, pushrods and hydraulic roller lifters, camshaft all been replaced with new Parts.
Going by tomorrow to talk to the engine guy that built it for me.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the rocker bolt is fully seated, but run a tap down the rocker bolt hole anyways.

Is the valve closing all the way? Compare the seated height with other cylinders.

Pull a couple pushrods and make sure they're the same length.

Inspect the ball and socket. Compare the rocker to other rockers to make sure it's not tweaked.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea, since everything else has been replaced, someone overlooked those or didnt time it right when they lashed them.

Saab84mw

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes that is correct 454cid This engine has no adjustments on the rocker arms just torque them down and let them ride.

I went by to talk to the shop that built the engine he said the oil system needs to be primed with the oil I did that by turning the oil pump with a drill motor then oil started coming out of the pushrods and the lifter tightened up.

I will chalk this one up to being a newbie on the engine building stuff.

Saab84mw

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes that is correct 454cid This engine has no adjustments on the rocker arms just torque them down and let them ride.

I went by to talk to the shop that built the engine he said the oil system needs to be primed with the oil I did that by turning the oil pump with a drill motor then oil started coming out of the pushrods and the lifter tightened up.

I will chalk this one up to being a newbie on the engine building stuff.

Here is the video

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Good job.... now I know why my valve-train rattles so much on startup, seeing that you can wiggle them by hand like that.

Those heads look so nice and clean, but why the purple timing cover?