RL wheel just locked up!

Discussion in 'Feedback, Help and Suggestions' started by Janxy81, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Janxy81

Janxy81 Newbie

Driving home from work just now and went over some railroad tracks. Hit a bad part of em and my wheel just locks up and starts screaming. Truck stalled and I managed to get it off the road. Luckily I was in the right most lane. Am I looking at a wheel bearing here? Is this thing safe to drive home?

2. 454cid

454cid Sooper Pooper

Well, if it's not rolling you can't drive it. I suspect you probably need a tow. I had a wheel lock up due to ice once.... maybe you've got brake components falling apart inside and jamming things up? Either that, or maybe the differential is toast.... I'm just theorizing.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    5vortec7 likes this.
  3. Janxy81

Janxy81 Newbie

It only locked up for maybe 10 feet. It rolls fine and I can’t detect any weird noises. I did get a tow home though. I really didn’t relish the thought of that happening again and possibly causing an accident. I didn’t think of brake parts jamming up the works. I’ll be sure to check that tomorrow. Never done a rear bearing (hopefully that’s not the problem) on one of these truck before so I’m sure this will be an adventure lol

4. sewlow

sewlow Bitchin' Stitchin'

Also take a look at the spider gears while you have the cover off.
    If it is a bearing, check the other side too. The RR is usually the one that goes south, especially in an open diff.

5. 5vortec7

5vortec7 Supporting Member

I second the loose brake parts idea. I’ve had one side lock up on me before and that’s exactly what I found. Though I was going in reverse, it did free up and drove normal afterwards to get home.

6. someotherguy

someotherguy I'm Awesome

Look for any movement that may have pulled your parking brake cable taught. This happened to me on a completely different design of rear suspension (90 Caprice) due to a broken lower trailing arm; I had just barely stepped on the brakes to begin slowing down and they locked up immediately. Had no idea the trailing arm had been cracked for a long time (ex-police car) and finally broke while I was driving. Not fun.

Richard

7. Janxy81

Janxy81 Newbie

I’m not really seeing anything out of sorts with RL drum off. Brake bits all seem to be in order. Decent meat left on the pads. Even paint on the springs still. The star wheel is frozen though so I’m gonna have to clean that up. Broke the drum though getting it off the axle flange lmao.

8. Janxy81

Janxy81 Newbie

Spider gear? Is that in the differential? What am I looking for as far as a bad bearing? Excessive play when I apply pressure to either side of the tire while it’s in the air? I’m more familiar with doing the wheel bearings on my Forester. As far as the spider hears go, what should I be looking for. Any info is greatly appreciated. I appreciate your time.

9. sewlow

sewlow Bitchin' Stitchin'

The spider gears are the 4 little ones inside the carrier that inter-mesh with each other. 2 on each side that the axles go through & 2 more that have a center pin through them.

Gov-lock. ('Posi') Looks like a cuckoo clock inside there. These 'things' aren't worth servicing. When they go south, that's it. They're done like dinner. Not all that uncommon, either. They're called Gov-Bombs for a reason.
    Most people just pull them out & throw them away.
    3 choices when repairing.
    -Replace the complete differential with another one that has the G-Bomb & the same gear ratio. But why? Same prob all over again.
    -Replace the carrier with an 'open' style.
    -Replace the carrier with a real 'posi'. There's a few choices when it comes to that. Eaton, Tru-Trac & Yukon make 'Limited Slip' carriers with springs & clutch plates. Very street friendly. Reliable. Rebuildable. Easily customized to tailor how tight they run.
    Or...posi carriers called 'spools' or 'mini-spools. Tough & strong, but can be a bit of a bear on the street.
    There's also 'air-lockers' which can control the locking & un-locking of the unit on demand, via a switch.

Gov-lock.

[​IMG]

Open Diff.
    You ncan easily see the spider gears here.

[​IMG]

Either one of these are factory original. Anything else is aftermarket.

10. Janxy81

Janxy81 Newbie

Okay so that’s what I’ve got going on in there. So this would be an open differential then. I’m gonna jack it up and do some spinny spinny on the wheels and see what she tells me.

6EDDF321-3445-4E0B-98D1-CD8C4F57067A.jpeg

sewlow likes this.