Right front LED turn signal doesn't flash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First I should say my son helped me convert all the turn signal and running lights to LED's and has been working fine until today. So that would be about 2 1/2 years. I should add we changed the flasher to an electronic flasher.

When checking the right rear flashes just fine, but the right front doesn't (It flashes for a split second, one time when the signal is first engaged). Left side works fine, front and rear. My son checked to see if the 4 way flasher works and ALL signal lights flash, even the one that doesn't in the normal turn signal mode. So that 'should' eliminate a wiring problem at the lamps. We tried it with the running lights off as well as with them on, seems to have no effect in how it acts. Just to test it, he pulled the electronic flasher and as you would expect, nothing flashed. Plugged it back in and it went back to normal, just my right front turn signal not flashing when using the turn signal stalk inside.

Have you had this problem and if so how/what did you do to fix it? Thanks

001pewter

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with mine but I think it's just from the bulb not fitting good and making contact. Sockets are packed with old grease and I'm hoping that's the problem. Wiggling them around they come on fine.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Holy crap I’m not alone here!

Do you mind if we piggyback our problems into this one thread? Mine is the drivers side side marker, and almost exact mirror in problems.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Holy crap I’m not alone here!

Do you mind if we piggyback our problems into this one thread? Mine is the drivers side side marker, and almost exact mirror in problems.

No reason for me to mind, maybe if someone has a solution for one of us it might help both. What's that saying, misery loves company...

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
On my 94 Silverado, I have been chasing this odd problem with my drivers side sidemarker/ turn signal light, it’s the only one that doesn’t work.

Known issues: it has worked in the past until now even with the LEDs. Bulbs are ALL LED with corresponding LED compatible flasher.

it doesn’t work plugged in on the driver side where it belongs, but does on the passenger side.

Running a jumper from the switch to the light results in no change.

I changed the parking light sockets on the drivers side since that’s the common ground it shares, resulting in no change. Pulling power from the parking light itself as opposed to the supplied wires from the factory results in no change.

Ground wire for them is perfect and upgraded from the cheesy factory wires.

Continuity is present in every direction.

The parking light splitter where it goes to the passenger side has been addressed and fixed when I found corrosion a few months ago.

Now for more confusion, with the left side signal activated, it flashes like it turned on the four way flasher, and makes the license plate light flash as well, but it is functioning like normal for the passenger side.

I have checked the wiring at the rear of the truck looking for any broken or damaged wires, and found nothing.

I replaced the turn signal switch and four way flasher last night (also LED compatible), and you guessed it, no change.

Now, with the parking lights on, the dash indicator is lit up for the left side as one would expect, and it cancels out the signal function when they’re on, only on the driver side.

I unbolted the wire pass through at the firewall and I took the pictures linked below. Cleaning this is all I can think of to see if this eradicates my problem.

I’m honestly out of ideas, so help please if you can.

You must be registered for see images attach

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
(1) go get the normal bulbs for the front. put them in and see what happens. This will eliminate many possibilities and narrow down the solution.

I run resistors on my turns in parallel with each led. The resistor is basically the eq. resistance of the stock light bulb (6 Ohm, hi watt dissipation capable).

The led is a low current device and it requires a voltage drop across it in order to light. The front light wiring shares grounding through other bulbs. When you have the parks on, the marker light grounds through the turn bulb/dash bulb but there is a lot of drop across the marker so the normal bulbs don't light. But without a resistor, the V drop might not be enough to light the led. The resistor also makes a nice low current path to ground around the leds when only the parks are on.

The led also has it's own resistor in side it in series with the led to limit the current and set the voltage drop to light the led. If that resistance has changed (low quality?) it affects the led lighting.

If a light flashes for a split second and then goes out like when the turn stalk is switched, to me that indicates there was voltage on the line to light the led but immediately pulled down under the load.

I would need to see the results of (1) to rule out some things.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Ok so on my truck, I dug deeper into the wiring, and determined that the wiring section that splits off to both sides is my particular issue.

To solve this nightmare I’m going to rebuild this portion of the wiring harness from the pass through plug to all the lights.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
I've had all sorts of nightmares with mine

One time I had one of my sockets plugged in backwards and this caused all sorts of problems
Then I had to replace the junction where it splits off to the passenger side

Some people have to use non polarity sensitive LED's in the corner lights for whatever reason (this is random as to some people don't need them such as myself.)

One time my tail light bar went haywire and caused all sorts of stuff

My trailer plug ground was messed up

It seems like most of that stuff you have addressed though.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I've had all sorts of nightmares with mine

One time I had one of my sockets plugged in backwards and this caused all sorts of problems
Then I had to replace the junction where it splits off to the passenger side

Some people have to use non polarity sensitive LED's in the corner lights for whatever reason (this is random as to some people don't need them such as myself.)

One time my tail light bar went haywire and caused all sorts of stuff

My trailer plug ground was messed up

It seems like most of that stuff you have addressed though.

What’s even crazier just like the other member said, is my lights all worked flawlessly with all the lights being LED for over two years, to just all of a sudden “poof” outta nowhere I had one quit.

I mean if I need to run another part to keep these lights I have, I will gladly acquire it, but it’s certainly a strange thing to happen.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What’s even crazier just like the other member said, is my lights all worked flawlessly with all the lights being LED for over two years, to just all of a sudden “poof” outta nowhere I had one quit.

I mean if I need to run another part to keep these lights I have, I will gladly acquire it, but it’s certainly a strange thing to happen.

Yeah, like I mentioned, that same LED that won't flash as a turn signal, WILL flash when the 4 way flasher is turned on. I'm thinking my problem is between the stalk and that right front signal, guessing a wire BUT I haven't got around to trying to find the energy to tear into it. Almost 70 so between lazy and getting old... Wah... I'm hoping there is a trustworthy shop around in my town that won't charge me an arm and a leg to do it.

Also trying to find a schematic for that part of the truck, is proving quite difficult. So far I haven't found one.