Riggs - My 2000 Chevy 3500 4x4 CCLB work truck and family play machine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Success! I believe the demons have been fully exorcised. Got everything back together and went on about a 30 min shakedown run. Zero issues finally.

TL: DR for all my recent issues:
-Misfire caused by new distributor not being able to hit +/- 2 CMP. Flipping the gear 180* fixed that. Thanks to @Mangonesailor for the tip on that one. Now we are dialed on the CMP.
-Original water pump crack was caused by failed fan clutch (as was likely my overheating when towing issue). Should have replaced the fan clutch and water pump together the first time, and almost none of this would have happened. Instead I replaced 4 water pumps and a radiator, and lost 10 years of my life.
-I got my wideband installed, and talking to HPTuners. Time to finally get back to dialing in the 0411 swap.
-Installed my new Anzo headlights. Literally had a set of identical lights in the truck, but the insides were all corroded. I guess we'll see how this goes. But they are aimed and I can see now..!

Pics below.

Distributor finally aligned correctly..! From this setup I could finally get my CMP within +/- 2. Note I did adjust it further from there once it was running.
You must be registered for see images attach

Radiator damage. Sad because it was pretty new and otherwise in good shape.

Hey look what I found. This truck eats tools....

Back of the condenser looks great. Might have been replaced at some point.

Rad back in, fan on, everything running. Seems solid...!

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After I got things back together and actually working, not leaking, I tackled getting my wideband setup, so I can get back to tuning this thing!

I already had the bung put in from a while back, so this part was pretty much plug and play. I might add, no exhaust leaks, so I must have done something right.

Here is the o2 sensor installed

Routed the cable and made sure I wasn't going to have any issues. Put another hole in the firewall by my brake controller.

Since I don't intend to keep the gauge in the truck forever (I have other plans for it, and/or may use it to tune my '07 burb, etc), I just found a temporary way to mount it. I just popped this panel out and the gauge is held in OK by cables pulling on it on the back. I think it'll be fine for the duration.

Oh and it's very simple to get it connected to HP Tuners. 2 extra wires connected to the module, it took me longer to search the correct wiring diagram and how to set it up in the software than it did to get it all connected.

So looking forward to getting the tune dialed in! From my driving around, I can tell the transmission shifts aren't right, and it does NOT like to start, so I've got a bit of cleanup to do. No worries, that's part of the fun, that took me +90 days from what I originally planned but here we are. So that will be next, along with likely a few other little things here and there. I need new injectors, probably the next big spend. That and the front end....

Oh I'll add, I am still logging a pretty consistent misfire on #4. I am convinced at this point it has to be injector related.

Finally, as a last bit before it got dark, I threw the new Anzo's on, and got them aimed. Much better than before, but still needs improvement. 4 hi mod and a good relay setup is in the near future for the headlights for sure.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did you steal the VE table from a 454 or an 8.1? I'd transcribed a 454 VE table over, kept the 350 MAF, and had no starting/idling/drivability issues.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you steal the VE table from a 454 or an 8.1? I'd transcribed a 454 VE table over, kept the 350 MAF, and had no starting/idling/drivability issues.
At this point I don't even remember, I'd have to go back and look at my notes.
Now that everything is back to mechanically sound, and I've got my distributor behaving correctly, crank relearn done, etc., I may just start over with a fresh file and build from the ground up.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At this point I don't even remember, I'd have to go back and look at my notes.
Now that everything is back to mechanically sound, and I've got my distributor behaving correctly, crank relearn done, etc., I may just start over with a fresh file and build from the ground up.
If you start getting a weird surge in the idle speed while starting up once you get your 0411 you gotta look at the idle speed PID. I've spent WEEKS adjusting mine so it doesn't do it. BUT there's sometimes an issue with a hot start with mine (not FPR related, but recently the FPR is showing that it's going out too). Starting spark advance and fueling deals with that, but I haven't quite gotten that figured out. @BNielsen has the same issue, and it seems it's something with the base Lextech tune.

Just FYI

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Wow. I've not touched anything idle related, though I did recently log idle airflow from a cold start and it's pretty close to desired airflow. Other than that I'm MAF only with the MAF dialed in and get a once in a while crap piss warm start. My dually has not fought me hardly at all. It's too bad you guys don't have EFILive or I could share my starter tune. It was solid out of the box.