Riggs - My 2000 Chevy 3500 4x4 CCLB work truck and family play machine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The general grunginess of them suggests they might be original; what's your mileage? I think there was something on here recently about the 7.4 not running well with a very large plug gap. The 41- number usually denotes iridium plugs which are supposed to last longer. Those look donesies to me though!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Less bad = moar better. Those studs are a pain in the ass to fish out. I only had one broken.

You must be registered for see images attach

It was in there good and deep. Of your timing map is stock I wouldn't expect to see any KR. You should be adding some timing in there, be sure to bring it in sooner too.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The general grunginess of them suggests they might be original; what's your mileage? I think there was something on here recently about the 7.4 not running well with a very large plug gap. The 41- number usually denotes iridium plugs which are supposed to last longer. Those look donesies to me though!

179k miles. The plug wires have been replaced, at least I'm assuming that, since the UMP set I bought was identical to what was on there, so it's probably they weren't, now I think about it. According to the parts number, they are platinums, which would be what was in there from OE.... That's what I put in there, Denso platinums pre-gapped at .040: DENSO 4511

Less bad = moar better. Those studs are a pain in the ass to fish out. I only had one broken.

It was in there good and deep. Of your timing map is stock I wouldn't expect to see any KR. You should be adding some timing in there, be sure to bring it in sooner too.

Did you just drill the studs or do you have some other magic?

My timing map is a direct copy-pasta from an 8.1, the black box is based on different parameters so I couldn't really use it, comparing them they are just very different....
I have not seen any knock to speak of, actually was trying to find reading on how best to safely add timing.... any pointers on that end I'm open.
Just add a couple degrees at a time and test?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I start with 2 degree global bumps until I start to see KR. Peel it back there and try to add it in elsewhere, generally adding it in low RPM helps a lot with throttle response and helps prevent needless downshifting.

As for the stud, I built up a weld tall enough to zap a washer onto and eventually spun the ******* out. Lesson learned again, more heat in the welder is more better.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Early birthday present to myself arrived…. Just need to find time to get under the truck with the welder and install the bung….

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Early birthday present to myself arrived…. Just need to find time to get under the truck with the welder and install the bung….

Also look into wiring it to your tuner/logger. EFILive has the ability for the wideband to send serial data to the tuning interface.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also look into wiring it to your tuner/logger. EFILive has the ability for the wideband to send serial data to the tuning interface.
That's the plan, HPtuners has the inputs as well. I actually probably won't "install" the gauge itself, i just want it to talk to my data logger.
Long term this unit is going in my Supra, but since that is in about 1000 pieces in my garage and won't be on the road a while still.... it'll get used to dial in the truck.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did my tune up, the cap and rotor were shot as well. I would not ignore those. the idle and smell were noticeably better. Even my wife noticed.
I threw a new distributor in at the end of summer. I should have done plugs and wires then, but didnt because of timing. Thanks though, it's a solid point... really should just check all that stuff on a new to you rig any time..!

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jumped in to go get a Christmas tree-luckily just in town- and it was stuttering and stumbling all over the place. Pulled a code and have a P0300… assuming it’s crank relearn related, so going to do that process again…

It’s supposed to be nice (aka at least not raining) next weekend, so I should have a chance to get that Wideband installed, and do the crank relearn.. I thought I had it but guess not, hopefully it’s straightforward and I don’t have to fight it…