Riggs - My 2000 Chevy 3500 4x4 CCLB work truck and family play machine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Called a couple driveline shops this morning... the one a mile from my office is a week out.
Luckily the other guys I called, a 30 min drive from work, said they can probably get it done today. So that's where it is. Should have that back today or tomorrow and back in the rig.

EDIT: I dropped it off at 8:30, it's 9:37 they just called that it's done. Woo!

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
500 miles down, made it home in one piece.
Great time away camping with the fam. Went by too quick of course..

Had a couple challenges with the truck, but nothing I would call major. Definitely some excitement out of it though.
Truck drove completely fine and comfy about 85% of the way there. The last 90 min of the drive was up some grades, nothing major steep, but towards the end I started getting P0300 codes (misfire) and lost a ton of power and started to get hot.

You must be registered for see images attach

Up at the top of the summit I pulled off at the gas station, temps (trans and engine) were about 225*F. Filled up with fuel and let it cool for a few minutes, at that point I was about 10 minutes from camp. Noticed a bit of coolant leaking, figured it was just some boil over.... lol nah.

Got to camp and settled everyone in and started looking over the truck. Yeah steady drip of coolant coming down. At first I thought it was the water pump, but upon further inspection, found the lower radiator hose had a hole wore in it from the serpentine belt - right at the stupid AIR pump I plan to eliminate.

Google auto parts stores and found a Napa 15 min away. Called them, they had a hose in stock. Had one of my buddies run me over and got the new hose. Napa lists an "improved" hose with a slightly different routing... gee I wonder If I'm the first person to have this happen.

New vs old hose. You can see it runs further down before turning towards the radiator if that makes sense.

Swapped in the new hose the next morning, so the truck wasn't nuclear hot, leak checked, topped it off with water, and called it good.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then a nice trouble free drive home again until the last 20 or so miles. Started getting a brake noise from the front. Not too surprised I guess, it was on the wear indicator when I got it. I gave it an eyeball check before I left and figured I had enough pad for the trip but I was wrong. Not the end of the world, made it home safe. Truck stopped pretty OK even with that little issue and my 4500lb camp trailer... thanks for trailer brakes. Oh speaking of, there is an intermittent short somewhere in that system, but at this point not sure if it's in the truck's wiring or the trailer. Have to do some troubleshooting along those lines here.

So what's next?
I'm going to throw some $25 brake pads on the front for now to get by until I can do a full front brake job. The rotor isn't too bad for short term.
The P0300, well, I'm kinda not wanting to chase that too bad right now, untill 0411 and some new injectors get swapped in. I might press to go coil packs as well as soon as I can and just throw all the solutions at it. But the code didn't show a single time on the drive home. Heck it could even be spark plugs.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Whatever caused your O2 problem is likely the root cause of the P0300. Oh, and I killed a hose the same way. Was backing into a parking spot with camper and trailer in Salina, KS and noticed PS dying then saw steam rolling in front of the headlights and the temp gauge about 230. So I shut it down, taped up the hose once it cooled, refilled the next morning and drove to O'Reilly's and put a new one on right there in the street. Metal on metal stops plenty well, it's just not a good long term solution.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whatever caused your O2 problem is likely the root cause of the P0300.
That is kind of what I was thinking too, it actually happened twice and had the same exact set of codes, I cleared it the first time and it happened a second time a few minutes later. I logged with my app on the drive home hoping to get maybe a better idea of "which cylinder" it was, but since the code never came back I didn't get any more data.
Going to just roll forward with refreshing as much as I can before next summer's camping season, if injectors/FPR doesn't fix it, I think going individual coils certainly will.. might hit up the junk yards just to see if I can get my hands on some reasonably low miles coil packs... wonder if there's an easy way to test if their good in a junk yard with just a multi meter, I know there's way to do this on old school coils.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That is kind of what I was thinking too, it actually happened twice and had the same exact set of codes, I cleared it the first time and it happened a second time a few minutes later. I logged with my app on the drive home hoping to get maybe a better idea of "which cylinder" it was, but since the code never came back I didn't get any more data.
Going to just roll forward with refreshing as much as I can before next summer's camping season, if injectors/FPR doesn't fix it, I think going individual coils certainly will.. might hit up the junk yards just to see if I can get my hands on some reasonably low miles coil packs... wonder if there's an easy way to test if their good in a junk yard with just a multi meter, I know there's way to do this on old school coils.

There's round and square, one is better than the other. Not sure mileage is much of a factor.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The other thing I was thinking about is, for the most part temps were fine, but when it went into "limp" and was running dog slow - 45mph ish, when the temps climbed. Again nothing catastrophically high, but I don't recall hearing the fan engage. Adding a new fan clutch to my future list.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The other thing I was thinking about is, for the most part temps were fine, but when it went into "limp" and was running dog slow - 45mph ish, when the temps climbed. Again nothing catastrophically high, but I don't recall hearing the fan engage. Adding a new fan clutch to my future list.

Weird, mine has never gotten hot enough for that and I tow a lot heavier than you do. I've been stuck foot to the floor in 2nd gear about 50-55mph for a good 15 minutes. The fan did its thing but the temp gauge never went past 210. Do you have the thick radiator? If not, get one for a dually.