Riggs - My 2000 Chevy 3500 4x4 CCLB work truck and family play machine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I don't think I'll be making much progress this weekend.

You must be registered for see images attach

I don't mind torturing myself a little bit but I'm not a total m a s o c h i s t. I'll have to wait until things warm up.
Plus the whole 2" of snow we got was enough to snarl all logistics up around here completely, because we suck when it snows. So of course my 3rd time's a charm radiator is delayed until ???.

Finally, I must enjoy making things hard on myself. Those McMaster studs showed up and look perfect! Only problem is they don't work. Because the threads on the pump are METRIC. I could have figured that out forever ago and saved myself some pain but here we are. Now I need to CONFIRM what threads they are (I think M8x1.25) before ordering something that should work. This really shouldn't be that hard, but there's very little info out there on the water pump studs and most of the generic kits I see around are standard threads.
WHATEVER! haha...

Last edited:

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cleaned up the garage because it needed it, then decided it was warm enough out to fiddle with the truck a bit.

Got the right water pump studs from Napa. Pretty sure they are just rebranded Dorman but I’m going to pretend I don’t know that. They should be fine.

The right ones

Old v new. A little longer but not a problem.

This sexy beast was in the parking lot as I was leaving. I took it as a good sign from the car gods that I’m done having to screw around with stuff.

I went to put the new fan on though and have a concern. It clears everything, but only about 1/4” from the a/c compressor…

To me that seems too close for comfort…

@BNielsen do you have a pic with clearance on your S10 blade by chance?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Cleaned up the garage because it needed it, then decided it was warm enough out to fiddle with the truck a bit.

Got the right water pump studs from Napa. Pretty sure they are just rebranded Dorman but I’m going to pretend I don’t know that. They should be fine.

The right ones

Old v new. A little longer but not a problem.

This sexy beast was in the parking lot as I was leaving. I took it as a good sign from the car gods that I’m done having to screw around with stuff.

I went to put the new fan on though and have a concern. It clears everything, but only about 1/4” from the a/c compressor…

To me that seems too close for comfort…

@BNielsen do you have a pic with clearance on your S10 blade by chance?
That square body Burb is SWEET! Looks like the 4x4 brother of the two tone tan and brown GMC we used to have. Ours was a '77 too('77 GM trucks have the yellow paint in the trim, for GM's 50th anniversary)and had a 454 in it and a full floating axle out back. The people we bought it from hauled a big trailer full of shop manuals, brochures and magazines all over the country with it; just didn't pass too many gas stations!
And yeah, that fan looks a wee bit close....it should deflect some in operation, but hard to say how much.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well-
Mishimoto is both great and sucks. 0/3 on getting me whole radiators. I called uncle and asked for a refund, which they issued no questions asked. But literally 2 off the 3 broke on the filler neck… I get that ups is a bunch of animals and certainly holds responsibility- but they could improve their packaging.

So I got one coming from AutoZone, they had 20% off on all ship to home orders, so it cost me $300. Which is what the Mishimoto was going to cost if I ever got it. I’m convinced at this point all the OE style plastic tank replacement rads are going to be pretty much the same. At least if this one arrives damaged I can take it to the store and hopefully get it swapped with a not busted one.

In the mean time I pulled the distributor and repinned the gear. You can see from pics below that it definitely does make a difference on how it will align with the cam. I also compared it to the original, and it explains why what I did when I put this one in gave me trouble. The tooth alignment vs rotor is not the same. So putting in a different distributor without checking cmp offset is not a good idea. Follow the instructions, fellas.

Dist gear- look close you can see half a tooth difference between flipping it 180*. By my gorilla math that is a 15* variance.

Set up on the vice with soft jaws and a block of wood under… bought an actual roll pin tool and it made all the difference - 3/16” if your curious.

Also bought an S10 fan, a four seasons version of the one @BNielsen suggested off Amazon.
It’s another pound lighter and seems perfect, so thanks for that.

Car gods willing I’ll have this dam*n thing back together this weekend and can get back to start tuning it…