Ride difference between18”, 20” and 22” on 33” off-road A/T tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Not looking for a debate just trying to get a handful of replies and basically decide off which has the most likes. I really don’t mind the stocks but they are breaking down I’ll have to take a pic and throw it on this thread lol. I get everyone has opinions it’s better nicer etc... to hear which or what gmt400 people would do since they’re/we’re all in same boat of vehicle. And I’m not going to spend money on finding really good took care of stocks since they are usually not in that condition for sale hence buy different wheels and caps are just as hard to find and the worries of them breaking again and they’re not that cheap just for center caps! And for anyone who lives in salt belts if you actually clean your wheels the chrome will not go to crap mine are original and I’ve been asked by a caddy dealer body shop how do I keep the wheels so clean and they were dirty at the time he asked. Filtered water or hot water and elbow grease basically all you need to clean chrome or just the dampness of your drying off the car from a wash towel will due! But in summer it may seem crazy and not the best to omit but spit cleans chrome amazingly if you don’t have anything else.

If I had to choose your selection I like the last pic. Looks like 18"

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Those are 20”s / twanks only the 18”s are the ones that look like they have 2 rows of bullet ends and wedge cut outs . Lol

Reaction score
My pick would be pics 2,4,6. 4 being the best. I would go with 18's if possible. My 99 had the black 20's on it when I bought it. They ride too rough even with a 33.5" tire. The potholes here in CA are worse than anything I remember in NE. For that reason I plan to sell them and get 17 or 18 in chrome.

John Hendrix

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents for what it’s worth...
Before you set off on a hunt for new wheels, find out the price of the corresponding tire for the wheel size.

I have stock 16” wheels on my 93 k1500. I was in shock at the cost of new tires. 20” wheels are so common now that the price of the tires have come way down from 10-12 years ago. It was almost cheaper to purchase a complete 20” tire and wheel package over stock size tires.

The cost of 22” tires are also through the roof.
One last thought. Most 20” and larger wheels are not rated for off-road use.

I vote for pic number 2...

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vote for new stock take off wheels and they all the larger size variety

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
Thank you all for the votes! I don’t do any real off roading but just having the tires to do some off road travel without worries of having just street/highway tires on. Yeah I’ve been shopping both ends of wheels and tires and a package set up. I’m gonna wait till I get around 20 overall votes to see just which wheels get highest votes.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the options you put out were my only choices....the first set with the rectangular type slots would be my choice as it’s the most palatable of all the options IMO.

Personally...I would rather have the stock wheels over any of the other choices you listed. Sorry but those wheels are not very complimentary to your SUV. I would rather get a nice set of OEM upgraded wheels before spending money on those wheels you listed. .

I had two sets of aftermarket wheels on my lifetime. One was a set of black rock crawlers when the only people running black wheels were off road guys and a set in 2004 of 20 inch wheels for my wife’s SUV. Those were removed a year later and a stock set was reinstalled. Horrible ride, drive and overall comfort level.
I never bought a set of aftermarket wheels since. Have no plans to either.

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply my thing is that to find a new or like new set of stock wheels for mine are not abundant and not not exactly cheap to buy as pricing is $135-190 per wheel which the rims I’ve shown to pick from are in that range or lower. And I really didn’t express what my real question is “is that what if any is the ride difference in the bigger wheels” and Id be getting 33”s for any of the sizes of rim I end up with. which is the biggest tires you can put on 400’s that are stock ride heights on everything I could find for biggest tire size. I also think updating the wheels would also update the whole truck and give a new lease on her for the next years of my ownership which this thanksgiving will be 10 years I’ve had her. Just one thing to really Have her stand apart from all the rides out in parking lots

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply my thing is that to find a new or like new set of stock wheels for mine are not abundant and not not exactly cheap to buy as pricing is $135-190 per wheel which the rims I’ve shown to pick from are in that range or lower.

Have you checked car-part.com? When I was looking for a set of stock wheels for my Suburban (after foolishly getting rid of them for some 18" chrome abominations) I was able to find some stock aluminum saw blades for $50-$75 per wheel in good condition. Had to go to two different salvage yards to find them but no big deal.

Pretty sure I mentioned this in another one of your threads but personally I would not recommend going to bigger wheels and/or tires. If you put 33" tires on you'll probably have to crank up the torsion bars a little to prevent rubbing, and that will seriously hurt your ride quality. As will wider tires with shorter sidewalls. I ran the 18"s with 33"s for a few years and got tired of replacing front end parts and beating myself to death.