Reworked 6.5L pipe dream

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love 6.5 and with my dually when empty I can spin tires with half throttle and yes good tires. But come 3600 rpm at my first shift a healthy 350 whether tbi or vortec you'll pass me. Put 4,000 lbs in the bed and it's a different story. My truck ran the same empty or loaded. My dually only gets 13mpg. But that's empty or loaded. And loaded I pass people up grades. But if I was swapping engines in your truck I'd do a LS 6 or go real diesel like a 4/6bt. If my motor is shot ill do a 5.9 12 valve 6bt and just bolt on things with stock injectors. That'll do low 300hp 6-700 tq and get me closer to 20 mpg.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
I love 6.5 and with my dually when empty I can spin tires with half throttle and yes good tires. But come 3600 rpm at my first shift a healthy 350 whether tbi or vortec you'll pass me. Put 4,000 lbs in the bed and it's a different story. My truck ran the same empty or loaded. My dually only gets 13mpg. But that's empty or loaded. And loaded I pass people up grades. But if I was swapping engines in your truck I'd do a LS 6 or go real diesel like a 4/6bt. If my motor is shot ill do a 5.9 12 valve 6bt and just bolt on things with stock injectors. That'll do low 300hp 6-700 tq and get me closer to 20 mpg.
I think I'll be doing the 6.5 swap IvI' got no interest in a 5.9 swap or 4bt both engines are way over priced in my area it would be a $15 000 swap by the time it's done so not going even consider. Plus is is my daily driver the 6.5 will be a direct swap some people had bad luck with the 6.5s but I don't think they can be all that bad

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't understand why you even ask people for advice, you always just do what you want anyways. We are only trying to save you some pain.

We told you how to fix your 350 (tuning), and you won't do it.

We told you that it is retarded to swap a 6.5 in place of a vortec 350, and you're gonna do it anyways.

I race dirt bikes too, and would like to stress the importance of wearing quality helmets.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
I don't understand why you even ask people for advice, you always just do what you want anyways. We are only trying to save you some pain.

We told you how to fix your 350 (tuning), and you won't do it.

We told you that it is retarded to swap a 6.5 in place of a vortec 350, and you're gonna do it anyways.

I race dirt bikes too, and would like to stress the importance of wearing quality helmets.
I have over $3000 in motocross gear my helmet alone was almost $500. I'm not 100%dead set on a swap but I'm really leaning towards it at this point I'm more interested in hearing from more 6.5 owners.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not happy with the 5.7 either. I'm not interested in 4bt swap them things are way way over priced in my area and are stupid gutless. Not really interested in a ls swap either. I thought this 6.5 swap would be a direct swap.

Have you driven a 4BT? Have you driven one with fuel mods and a governor spring. What about one with larger injectors and a turned up pump.

In my experience the 4BT in a loaded box van at 15K pulls harder than a 6.5.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
I've looked into the 4bt swap and peipeo just want way to much for good used one then I still have to get a controller for my 4l60e and find a way to keep my push button 4x4

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
I've looked into the 4bt swap and peipeo just want way to much for good used one then I still have to get a controller for my 4l60e and find a way to keep my push button 4x4
You won't keep the 60E intact. Need an 80E.
Ya I probably would actually do a 4l80e swap if I did a diesel swap. The only real reason I'm interested in this 6.5 swap is I found a cheap low mileage 6.5 diesel Z71 with the 4l80 and the pushbutton 4x4 it would be a direct swap no mods other then the exhaust. I got too pull my dash any way to fix a defrost problem. But if the 6.5 doesn't get all that good mpg I won't do it and from what I can gather there not all that better on fuel so may end up just putting in another used 5.7. I call my local GM dealer and they can't get a drop in replacement any more and call a couple shops and they all said 4 - 5 grand to rebuild my 5.7 plus install and taxes.