Reversing lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thatguy

Reaction score
I have a 97 k1500 with a pro comp 6”. How big of a process is it going to be to return to stock height?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Remove silly shiit. Deposit in trash can or scrap-metal barrel.
2. Install properly-engineered OEM- or OEM-quality aftermarket parts; including replacing worn-out stuff like control arm bushings, ball joints, idler arm, etc.
3. Adjust torsion bars for proper ride height.
4. Get professional alignment including making sure rear springs/axle are thrusting straight (not "dogtracking).

Thatguy

Reaction score
I been told by a Buncha local guys they had to cut some bracket off. Was just wondering if it was a big deal. Thanks for the reply

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I been told by a Buncha local guys they had to cut some bracket off. Was just wondering if it was a big deal. Thanks for the reply

I've read something similar but I can't recall exactly what it was... Sorry. Both of my trucks are stock height. Maybe some lifted guys will chime in?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why you'd have to cut some bracket off...unless it was installed as part of the lift.

In that case, it's just "removing silly shiit".

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually, it IS a big deal.
My shop installs lifts, and I've been aligning them for over a decade.

The tail end of the front diff, and driveshaft yoke, interferes with the truck frame when lifted. About 2.5" of the frame is removed and capped. Then the lower control arm drop assembly has a new mounting tabs for the mount.

Without the old chunk of OE frame, you'll need to fabricate it from scratch, or the front diff will be wobbling around loose.

Next you'll need to repair the exhaust. Bank 1 pipe, just out of the manifold, needed to extended/looped around the lowered front driveshaft.

You'll need OE length shocks. You probably can leave the extended brake hoses (if equipped) or install new OE length ones.

Lastly, if you remove the lift components properly, you might be able to find some sucker to buy them. Like my shop did with my (yet uninstalled) 6" Rough Country lift... Paid $150, then the gas prices skyrocketed, so "in inventory" it will stay

Thatguy

Reaction score
Actually, it IS a big deal.
My shop installs lifts, and I've been aligning them for over a decade.

The tail end of the front diff, and driveshaft yoke, interferes with the truck frame when lifted. About 2.5" of the frame is removed and capped. Then the lower control arm drop assembly has a new mounting tabs for the mount.

Without the old chunk of OE frame, you'll need to fabricate it from scratch, or the front diff will be wobbling around loose.

Next you'll need to repair the exhaust. Bank 1 pipe, just out of the manifold, needed to extended/looped around the lowered front driveshaft.

You'll need OE length shocks. You probably can leave the extended brake hoses (if equipped) or install new OE length ones.

Lastly, if you remove the lift components properly, you might be able to find some sucker to buy them. Like my shop did with my (yet uninstalled) 6" Rough Country lift... Paid $150, then the gas prices skyrocketed, so "in inventory" it will stay
Awesome! Thanks it needs new exhaust anyways and I’ve got a roller frame so I think we’re good to go. Appreciate the info