Reverse lights coming in only between park and reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jack Schneider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just acquired another GMT... it’s a 1990 K2500’HD’. It has a recently rebuilt 400 transmission but I can’t get reverse lights to come on when it’s actually in reverse. They’ll come on only when the gear selector is between park and reverse just before the tranny fully goes into reverse and then they turn off... any ideas?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...or replace it.

My NSS was frightfully worn-out, with a partially-broken tang that controls the internal movement. In my case, it was the backup lights that didn't work.

You must be registered for see images attach

I won't promise that your '90 is the same as my '88. My switch has some range of adjustment, too.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
...or replace it.

My NSS was frightfully worn-out, with a partially-broken tang that controls the internal movement. In my case, it was the backup lights that didn't work.

I won't promise that your '90 is the same as my '88. My switch has some range of adjustment, too.
Are the 95 up similar? My 99 Burb 5.7/4L60E has this issue sometimes. If it's in drive before being put in reverse, the backup lights usually come on. But if going straight to reverse, most of they time they won't come on. Frustrating, because the backup lights on this truck are really good for illuminating the area behind it....Sometimes it's difficult to get the selector into the proper gear when shifting from park or reverse to high(the normal OD position). Thanks in advance for your assistance!

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are the 95 up similar? My 99 Burb 5.7/4L60E has this issue sometimes. If it's in drive before being put in reverse, the backup lights usually come on. But if going straight to reverse, most of they time they won't come on. Frustrating, because the backup lights on this truck are really good for illuminating the area behind it....Sometimes it's difficult to get the selector into the proper gear when shifting from park or reverse to high(the normal OD position). Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Have to replaced the shifter cable?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Have to replaced the shifter cable?
No, haven't done that. The gear selection thing is intermittent and I think it's more the way my mom does the shifter, because I don't have any problems with it. The needle doesn't always indicate the right gear, so I count clicks. The old 90 R2500 Burb we had was the same way (the locators on the bottom of the instrument cluster broke like all the square body dashes do). But we didn't have the light issue with it. The 99 though has had this light issue since we got it. I've had other people tell me about the neutral safety switch too, just haven't had the chance to look into it. Thanks!

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, haven't done that. The gear selection thing is intermittent and I think it's more the way my mom does the shifter, because I don't have any problems with it. The needle doesn't always indicate the right gear, so I count clicks. The old 90 R2500 Burb we had was the same way (the locators on the bottom of the instrument cluster broke like all the square body dashes do). But we didn't have the light issue with it. The 99 though has had this light issue since we got it. I've had other people tell me about the neutral safety switch too, just haven't had the chance to look into it. Thanks!

When I finally get around to it, I plan on changing the cluster lights to led. Sometimes I'm worry a bulb will go out lol. Also I've had the shift cable pop off the trans selector lol. I was freaking out until I went under the truck and popped it back lol.. and you know compared to the older Chevys that has the needle on the cluster. I kind of feel like ours with the lights shift smoother. Not as much slop.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Burb dudes - 95-up the switch is no longer on the column; it's on the side of the transmission where the shift linkage connects.

Richard

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a GM procedure for the trans mounted style. I did my daughter's 99 awhile back but don't remember it.
If you don't have access to the GM OEM site, try Google.