Replacing Window Motor/Regulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92K5

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in the process of replacing my driver side power window motor on my 1992 K5 blazer, but I am at a stand-still with the project.

I have read that in order to properly remove the inner door card, the window has to be down. However, since the motor is dead, I cannot roll the window down.

What are my options? Do I attempt to force the window down? Do I take the door card off and have someone else hold the window and slowly let it down? Is there a way to manually over-ride the motor to lower the window, like with a wrench or something? Do I pick up a set of these https://goo.gl/937Y9M to do it myself?

I don't really wanna replace a window, so the easiest way to accomplish this goal is what I am searching for.

I attached a photo for reference.

Thanks in advance,

John

You must be registered for see images attach

ELxCOMPA

Reaction score
What you can do is just make sure anything is attached to door card is freed such as the lines for the locks , any electrical wires , etc. And then while the helper is holding the window up slowly back off the door card with the motor/reg assembly from the window sliding roller slots one at a time until both are freed and you'll be in the clear to remove the whole door card. Just make sure the helper doesnt drop the window haha.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try giving the motor a couple raps with your fist or a mallot you may get it to work enough to put it down. If not as said just free up everything and you can lower the window and inner panel as an assembly then slide the reg off.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try giving the motor a couple raps with your fist or a mallot you may get it to work enough to put it down. If not as said just free up everything and you can lower the window and inner panel as an assembly then slide the reg off.
I pecked with a small hammer on mine and it kicked in long enough to get it down. Held switch down while pecking on it.

92K5

Reaction score
I pecked with a small hammer on mine and it kicked in long enough to get it down. Held switch down while pecking on it.
I'll definitely have to give that a try. If not I'll just ask my lovely assistant (aka fiance) to help with letting the window down.

Thank you very much for the help. Can't wait to get this project behind me.

John

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

92K5

Reaction score
Just an update, got the inner door card removed. Took a few love taps with a small hammer to shake the innards lose, and even once the window started to roll down, it was a very slow process. Gonna get everything re-installed tomorrow.

Thanks again to everyone's ideas, this site is extremely useful.

John

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll definitely have to give that a try. If not I'll just ask my lovely assistant (aka fiance) to help with letting the window down.

Thank you very much for the help. Can't wait to get this project behind me.

John

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk[/QUO
I did both in mine the same day
Just an update, got the inner door card removed. Took a few love taps with a small hammer to shake the innards lose, and even once the window started to roll down, it was a very slow process. Gonna get everything re-installed tomorrow.

Thanks again to everyone's ideas, this site is extremely useful.

John
I lubed up all the swivel points and sprayed runs etc with spray silicone , mine never worked so slick !

92K5

Reaction score
I lubed up all the swivel points and sprayed runs etc with spray silicone , mine never worked so slick !
Thank you for the advice, I am gonna clean the door card up and put new lubricants on it for sure. The window has been finnicky/inoperable for about a year now, can't wait to have it be moving like new again!

John

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk