replacing single din with double din stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stillwater

Reaction score
Have a 92 K1500, changed out the stock stereo for what I could fit in it many years ago, was told going to double din wasn't possible.

A few years ago I found a double din factory deck on ebay, a conversion harness was advertised seperately. I was short on cash so got the radio first. Next check I got on to get the adapter harness, it was gone. Never found one since.

But I've noticed youtube videos on how to make the switch now. Does anyone know where I might buy an adapter for it? It's from a 2003 Trailblazer. My now Ex had a 2003 w/Bose and I loved the sound quality. Made my Replacement sound crap!

Help!

:driver:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The Trailblazer radio will not work in your truck. They require a special Class 2 Data signal from a Body Control Module to turn on - Ignition power to it won't do anything. The conversion harness would be easy to make, but it's pointless in your case lol. If you want a radio of that style, you'll have to find one in a 2002-2003 S-Series Blazer/Jimmy. They're the only 2-DIN RDS radios that work via ignition power and that don't require reprogramming to work in a different truck.

Source? I have two Trailblazer RDS radios lol. I was able to get them working in my 03 Blazer (that has a BCM) only by resetting their VIN match using a Tech2 programmer. And they still don't work properly (only stay on in Run, not Accessory, the lights don't turn on with the headlights switch, etc).

CorvairGeek

Reaction score
To reiterate Brandon's sage advice, the serial bus (and later) stereos are not remotely plug and play. I wanted this, from an '05 LeSabre,

You must be registered for see images attach

Note the OBD2 connector above in pic for future communication, if needed.
But this is what it took to do it!

You must be registered for see images attach

One of the above modules is for XM radio.

It takes a donor car to build a harness. Fun project, but unless you are an electronics nerd, it won't be fun. The hacks to try and bypass the VIN matching won't work without a body control system to signal turn on with the ignition. It 'bricks' some radios anyway.