Replacing oil pressure gauge motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyorlo

Reaction score
I am putting a 94 cluster in my 89, everything works except the oil pressure gauge, it has pegged. I’ve measured resistance and the sender appears to be working. The gauge has went past the normal max position.

Is it possible to change the motor in the cluster, like the later styler clusters? I’ve googled it and haven’t had much luck. I have done a few stepper motors in later clusters with luck.

Any help on sourcing a motor?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't seen one of these fail, yet. I'd be much, much more suspicious of your sender. It's probably the wrong one.

Richard

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I guess Amazon might have stepper motors. Or you could try other online sources.. Or do what my buddy did for me when I had the LS swap. Install a mechanical oil pressure gauge

Tonyorlo

Reaction score
The sender could be the problem, it just threw me off because the gauge went way past the normal position. I can try another sender.

I did see those stepper motors on Amazon and eBay, but they all say 95 or 96 and up.

If all else fails I have a mechanical gauge I can drop in. I put a 6.0 in it and would like everything to appear “stock”.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you pull the wire off the sender (make sure it doesn't ground to anything) the gauge should go to zero. Grounding the wire at the sender will send it to max reading. You can also try pulling the lens and seeing lf the gauge may actually just be stuck before buying anything.

i have an extra cluster... could pull a motor if you needed.. for cheap/shipping costs

Kran

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
those amazon motors will NOT work for our vehicles. you need the specific air core motor for the oil gauge. each of them are different. one for coolant temp will not work for oil pressure. fuel wont work for voltage, etc. they are between $20 and $40 on ebay.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How about use the sender for the year of your cluster, 7 years apart. Without checking parts specs there probably not compatible, maybe, most likely, a good chance. Easier to get a sender than fragile cluster parts. Good luck.

Tonyorlo

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies everyone! Someotherguy was correct. I had the wrong type of sender. I have a handful of take off from vehicles through the years, I assumed GM would use the same voltage or ohm range for their senders but I was wrong. Works perfect now.