Replacement torsion bar adjusting hardware?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
I am in the process of rebuilding my front suspension and loosened the torsion bar adjusting bolts. I did use penetrating oil (Kroil). The bolt on one side moves fairly easily, but the other side's bolt is extremely difficult to turn. I believe the bolts are original, and are somewhat corroded, being a Northeast truck.

I'd like to replace the adjusting bolts and nuts. Does anyone know if new OEM or even aftermarket ones are available? I am not replacing the torsion bar keys.

Also, will I need to use a torsion bar unloading tool to replace the bolts and nuts? I've been eyeing the green tool made by OEM tools, it looks like decent quality for a reasonable price, and got good reviews.

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think LMC might have the hardware. You will need that tool in most cases, I’d just rent one from an auto parts store for free

missouritig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless its already disconnected at the control arm, the only way to replace the key and bolt plate safely is with a unloading tool. Due to the rust you mentioned, if you backed the torsion adjusting nut all the way and just replaced the bolt...I would be a bit concerned about the plate being the main culprit anyway so go ahead and replace that but im sure your keys are fine, they are solid steel or iron right?

Torsion bars dont have a lot of spring throw like a compressed spring, but their bound up strength is immense.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know if new OEM or even aftermarket ones are available?

Ill bet a dealership parts department could tell you. You want to call one?

The bolt on one side moves fairly easily, but the other side's bolt is extremely difficult to turn. I believe the bolts are original, and are somewhat corroded, being a Northeast truck

If you're struggling, you're galling the threads. Continue removing it with heat or a stronger impact gun. Then replace it.

Also, will I need to use a torsion bar unloading tool to replace the bolts and nuts? I've been eyeing the green tool made by OEM tools, it looks like decent quality for a reasonable price, and got good reviews.

Or you can "rent" one from pretty much any parts store. Unless you're planning on using more than once...

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
Unless its already disconnected at the control arm, the only way to replace the key and bolt plate safely is with a unloading tool. Due to the rust you mentioned, if you backed the torsion adjusting nut all the way and just replaced the bolt...I would be a bit concerned about the plate being the main culprit anyway so go ahead and replace that but im sure your keys are fine, they are solid steel or iron right?

Torsion bars dont have a lot of spring throw like a compressed spring, but their bound up strength is immense.
Yes, keys are solid steel. I want to replace both nut and bolt, like you recommend

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have asked GM / Chevy parts? Or looked at "gm parts giant" . That should be an easy part to look up.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
Ill bet a dealership parts department could tell you. You want to call one?

If you're struggling, you're galling the threads. Continue removing it with heat or a stronger impact gun. Then replace it.

Or you can "rent" one from pretty much any parts store. Unless you're planning on using more than once...
I found (after I posted this) several OEM ones on eBay, as well as aftermarket ones, so they are readily available.

I know I can rent the tool, but I'd rather just buy it to have on hand since I may use it more than once. It's not that expensive.