Replaced starter and created a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toomanyhobbies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My reman delco starter that I put on my replacement 350 started having acting up so I sent it back under warranty. When I went to take it out, like a complete idiot I didn't disconnect the battery and managed to briefly arc the posts. The new one won't work, and the ignition switch (small wire) doesn't get power when I turn the key. Large post has power.

I checked the fuse labeled "crank" on the dash fuse panel. Is there a separate fuse under the hood for the ignition? What else would cause this condition? This stupid mistake is causing a lot of frustration.

Last edited:

TexasT

Reaction score
Might have let the magic smoke out of a fusible link in one of those wires coming to the starter.

Mr_white_obs

Reaction score
check under your hood for blown ignition fuse. There's 2 large 'maxi' fuses labeled IGN-A and IGN-B as well as a regular ATM fuse labeled IGN. i don't know off hand what the fuses do, but it is more than likely that one of them was blown when you arced the wires.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '97 L29 uses a relay on the driver's front inner fender fuse/relay box to power the purple wire that attaches to the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid.

I'm not sure the small-blocks have that relay, but if they do you might swap it with a similar relay to see if that's the problem.

Beyond that, is there anything ELSE that isn't working? If there are some electrical accessories that also don't work, you'd trace the wiring diagram back to see what they have in common--and that's likely where the problem is.