Replaced lock cylinder, now it starts but won't run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll check that out. Maybe my local tuner that does my LS stuff can tune it out.

If he uses HPTuners then he should be able to do it. The '98 and up black box PCMs in these trucks are supported by HPTuners but earlier ones are not.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You'd be a lot better off sending your PCM to Black Bear Performance for around the same price and having them disable PassLock in the tune. No extra electronics to add, no "fooling" the system, just switch it off in the computer.
Beat me to it!

Cool, this answered my question. I have a 97 and the lock is getting worse and worse with hang-ups. I can simply buy a cylinder and install it, with no jumping through hoops required, right?
Yes. Just swap the cylinder out, no passlock on pre-98 gmt400 trucks. But do yourself a favor and consider having a real locksmith make you a new key first, it might just be a worn key. Not the hardware store dude with the axxess machine but an actual locksmith that knows their craft. If it just needed a key, less expense and hassle, and you won't have to mess with the door lock key being different then.

Richard

Bigoilman

Reaction score
Partial update: While waiting for mail to deliver the resistors I ordered, I came across a brand new lock cylinder and key I'd bought a few years ago for a 2003 S10 Blazer that we never installed. Looked it over. Physically almost identical. So.... I plug it in, turn the key and it runs! Runs rough, but it runs. I'm in the middle of the key relearn procedure as I type this. If it runs properly afterward, great. If not, at least I've identified the problem. Maybe that lock cylinder that I bought (2nd one) isn't right either.?!?. I'll know in about 10 minutes....

UPDATE: IT WORKED. It may have actually worked before the relearn. I had the hat over the throttle body off and the PCV disconnected so it had a massive vacuum leak. Buttoned everything up and it cranks and idles like it should.

Last edited: