Replace 4L60E with 4L80E??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jess t

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this a bad swap, do the electronic controls interchange? yolk different, driveshaft length? Anyone done this? Is it worth doing (for towing approx 5000 lbs)? Will transfer case from 4L60E fit 4L80E?

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good swap, but drive shafts, tcase, ecu programming are all not direct swap

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wiring, cooler lines and the crossmember location are different as well. If you check my sig I have a link to the 60E to 80E swap thread for my '97 C1500. You'll have more to deal with if your truck is a 4WD but that thread should at least give you an idea of what you're in for.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I got my adapter harness off eBay I think. Didn't have to repin anything. Also check to make sure ur 80 isn't leakin thru the plug on the case. I went ahead n bought new internal harness and painted inside of plug with multiple coats of nail polish to seal it up. Cooler lines may be hard to find so I just got on rock auto n got set for a 1 ton van. Also you'll want to get the flywheel as it's a 6bolt instead of 3. I had hell of a time finding a driveshaft as I have ext cab short bed 1500. I've only seen 3 ext cab short bed 2500s in my life. Driveshaft is about 2 inches shorter and you'll want to drill new holes for X-member 2 inches back from factory spot. Also if yours is 4wd get the t-case linkage if you have a manual t-case and the front driveshaft. Wasn't a bad install but I also bolted it to motor n stabbed it all in at once.