Repainting my entire truck (frame and body, pictures)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've decided It's finally time to repaint my entire truck. This is something I've been wanting to do for a couple years now. My truck is in overall really great shape, but the fenders and core support are rotting out. I bought a whole new front end including the core support, inner fenders, outer fenders, a new front bumper and also a rear bumper. I chose to opt out of getting the impact strips and want to go for a color matched, cleaner look. All the parts are CAPA certified, so hopefully that'll help fitting everything together. All parts have real E-coat (they all passed the lacquer test).

I started a week or so ago getting the truck stripped down. Plans are to strip the frame to clean metal inside and out, as much as humanly possibly with only the cab still on and the drive train in place. The frame is getting epoxy primer and black U-Pol Raptor Liner. I plan to reduce the Raptor slightly for a finer texture and spray it with an HVLP gun. The exterior of the truck will also get epoxy wherever i must sand to bare metal, my rockers have a little surface rust on the edges. The entire truck is also getting reduced Raptor but color matched. I'm hoping it'll look nice with a finer texture. I may add some additional metal flake to experiment, after all, I'm just having fun. My goal is to get the truck done before my wedding in late September so the future Mrs. and I can drive away in it. The truck was my first vehicle, I've had it since 2004, my grandpa and I worked on it quite a bit together before he passed away, and I have a lot of memories with friends with it. It's got a lot of sentimental value. I plan on keeping this thing for life haha. I'll post pictures up of my progress momentarily.

Last edited:

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here was the start, it's apparent how bad the fenders were. :eek:

You must be registered for see images attach

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my next trick I'll make my front end.....disappear! Planning on doing some small mods along the way like the 4 corner LED turn signals.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And here the bed is off along with the rear bumper. My frame is mostly clean metal already under the paint, anywhere that needs attention is getting a die grinder with sanding discs or my handy little siphon feed abrasive blast gun. I have a couple coats of Ospho on everything to keep it from flash rusting. I'm also letting all my fasteners and hardware soak in vinegar and lemon juice. If anyone knows of a good coating to keep bolts from rusting after I re install everything it'd be appreciated. So far I've always used a little bit of Permatex anti seize, but I'm looking for something to paint the bolts in, then anti seize on top. Everything is coming along. It's tedious work so far but well worth it. Hopefully a couple good coats of the epoxy on clean metal will keep the rust monsters away for years to come, even in Ohio winters.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Front half of the frame is stripped to clean metal. Cleaned every nook and cranny I could reach. Also got the ABS module mounting plate looking much better.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stainless would be awesome haha. Currently soaking everything in vinegar then painting. We'll see how it holds up

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Looks good man! Can't wait to see this completed! :) Love the blue! Blue is my favorite color and I see you got the blue interior... noice... :head3::head3:

Tzfbird

Reaction score
I've found that Teflon or similar pipe dope works good on suspension bolt threads. It doesn't wash out like antisieze tends to. Just be careful how you apply it because what keeps water out can also keep it in.
Looks good. Hopefully I'll be getting a nearly rust-free 93 in a couple weeks and am debating on doing something similar to this because there is currently no drive train to get in the way.
I'll keep watching to see how much work it turns out to be.