Removing stubborn torsion bar keys - ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm in the middle of cleaning and installing a 2" rough country lift on my 90 K1500. It includes new torsion bar keys that, although are not required, I would like to use. I currently have the lower control arms off the truck but still can't beat the bars out of the adjuster keys. I've used heat and a BFH but still can't get them to budge. The rust certainly isn't helping. I've watched several Youtube videos about people using air hammers but I don't have access to an air hammer that size. Also some have cut the keys and or the cross members to get them out....something I want to avoid. Can anyone share their secrets / success stories? Any ideas? I did a search here but couldn't find anything....I apologize if I missed it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is there any particular reason you want to use those keys?

It's been beaten to death on here many times, but as you said they're not necessary at all. You can crank to the droop stops with factory keys. The aftermarket "lift keys" won't gain you anything over stock. Personally I wouldn't mess with it.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was able to twist my keys the opposite direction that they are normally loaded and that broke them loose, but mine hardly had any rust on them.

This would require putting the lower control arms back on the truck to have something to twist against.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was able to twist my keys the opposite direction that they are normally loaded and that broke them loose, but mine hardly had any rust on them.

This would require putting the lower control arms back on the truck to have something to twist against.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Thanks for that advice.

Anubis

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there any particular reason you want to use those keys?

Yes I know I can use the factory keys but I am a perfectionist to a fault. If I don't change them I will know there rusty, crappy, seized keys under there. I plan to sand blast and refinish everything. They are rusted because the truck was driven in the salt early in its life. Now it is a garage queen.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes I know I can use the factory keys but I am a perfectionist to a fault. If I don't change them I will know there rusty, crappy, seized keys under there. I plan to sand blast and refinish everything. They are rusted because the truck was driven in the salt early in its life. Now it is a garage queen.

Fair enough! I totally get it as a cosmetic thing if everything else under there is going to be clean and fresh.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
In the past I have removed a stuck TB with a BFH, a jack stand and an old TB with one end cut off. the Truck needs to be assembled, place the jack stand in line with the TB and place the cut end of the TB against the TB that needs to be removed/loosened. Hit the cut TB with the BFH until you drive it to the rear and it is loose of the Key.