Removing Air Box Lid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tailgunner762

Reaction score
Would removing the stock air box lid help or hurt my 5.7 vortec?
I see a lot of the cold air intakes on the market are basically the same thing?

Just needin' some advice like always guys, Thanks!

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
The factory intake already sources 'cold' air from inside the passenger front fender, there is a plastic vent that channels air from in front of the radiator support. Ambient 'outside' air is going to be colder than the engine compartment temperature, especially at low speeds and city driving. Does that answer your question?

If you have a scan tool or a bluetooth adapter and an android device with "Torque" on it, you can see the inlet air temperature. Measuring with / without the top half of the filter housing will show you what you need to know.

Cut and paste from Banks:

The object is to get the coolest air possible to the engine's intake system. Many engines induct air that has passed through the radiator or over other warm areas of the engine, significantly heating the air and reducing its density. By relocating the air intakes to duct outside air that hasn't been warmed into the engine, density is significantly increased. For example, it is not uncommon for air to increase up to 50º F. passing through the radiator and air conditioning condenser on a late model vehicle. The general rule of thumb is that for every 10º of temperature drop, the density (and oxygen content) increases 1 percent. It's actually more like 1.8 percent. Similarly, power increases by an equal amount. So, in this example, if you can intake air that hasn't been heated, you can gain as much as 5 to 9 percent more power. Happily, the best places to collect cool air are the same places that work for ram air, so you can get the density gains from both pressure and temperature using the same intake ducting.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If ambient air in front of the rad core support is say ~ 70F, and you have 120 degree air underhood ( can be a lot hotter, but err on the low side for calculations ) then you have about between 5-10% power loss compared to the colder air. :)

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was curious about how much it would rise and pulled the lid off of my truck one evening. I had been driving about 20min and everything was up to temperature. I saw a 25*F rise on a ~60*F day driving at 60mph on the highway.

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Good to see someone else tested this. The difference is going to be much more dramatic on hot days, where the delta between ambient and the coolant temperature is lower, the under hood temps will be much hotter.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it's funny how some company's claim "cold air intake" when infact it's not. Jus an open filter element sucking in hot under hood air. Haha just dumb

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
I think it's funny how some company's claim "cold air intake" when infact it's not. Jus an open filter element sucking in hot under hood air. Haha just dumb

Not completely true, some have ram air kits that take in air from under the front bumper, making it true to the name

Sent from my awesome S5