Reluctor wheel help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devon 11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled the ckp to check on it when I got a code for the crank sensor. I don’t remember which one off hand. When I looked inside the reluctor wheel wasn’t directly in the middle of the hole. It’s an aftermarket Holley timing cover. It looked like the ckp got hit. I didn’t check for clearance before I put it in. However the truck did run but I couldn’t get it to run right. So I was wondering if the reluctor not being directly in center will effect anything.

gwolf

Reaction score
Old thread I know, but if your replacing the Crank Position Sensor make sure it's american made or AC Delco or Delphi, the chinese knock-offs can cause weird things to happen, even when they have correct resistance and you don't get a DTC. Intermittent problems that don't throw codes are the worst.

The relcutor doesn't have to be perfectly lined up for the sensors internal magnet to still work but bad news if it's being rubbed though, it won't last.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled the ckp to check on it when I got a code for the crank sensor. I don’t remember which one off hand. When I looked inside the reluctor wheel wasn’t directly in the middle of the hole. It’s an aftermarket Holley timing cover. It looked like the ckp got hit. I didn’t check for clearance before I put it in. However the truck did run but I couldn’t get it to run right. So I was wondering if the reluctor not being directly in center will effect anything.
Its not centered in the factory cover either but it does need the proper clearence air gap.