Reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
This was really helpful thanks. Also I think my clutch might be going out and figured this isn't a DIY sorta thing, any estimate on prices for putting a new one in?

Well it can be, because it isn't a hard job, just time consuming. The real question is your truck 2 or 4 wheel drive, because that adds extra work (sort of). I have done several clutches in my 21 years of driving, the last one was in my truck that's in my signature. I would recommend replacing everything clutch related including the clutch fork (just because you're in there and you have the opportunity).

I would figure $4-600 total including parts (hopefully I figured too high), because the last time I had transmission stuff done, is when I had my NV4500 rebuilt and ceramic clutch installed which cost me a premium ($1,650 including buying the transmission, having it rebuilt, and buying the clutch.)

Reaction score
Well it can be, because it isn't a hard job, just time consuming. The real question is your truck 2 or 4 wheel drive, because that adds extra work (sort of). I have done several clutches in my 21 years of driving, the last one was in my truck that's in my signature. I would recommend replacing everything clutch related including the clutch fork (just because you're in there and you have the opportunity).

I would figure $4-600 total including parts (hopefully I figured too high), because the last time I had transmission stuff done, is when I had my NV4500 rebuilt and ceramic clutch installed which cost me a premium ($1,650 including buying the transmission, having it rebuilt, and buying the clutch.)

It's a 4 wheel drive, ill look into it if I can get it done myself, sounds like a summer job though lol so it might be a little. Thanks for the info

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
It's a 4 wheel drive, ill look into it if I can get it done myself, sounds like a summer job though lol so it might be a little. Thanks for the info

Well I figured being in Montana you had a 4wd, but I didn't want to assume. You can get it done in a weekend, it's not an overly complicated job. A repair manual or two will help you if you're unsure on how to do the job.

Mule89

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like JCribb said it can be done in a weekend and on the ground if you don't have a lift available to you.

bjett

Reaction score
honkob, I would never buy a truck from a sheriff's department. I work for san Bernardino county and see our chevy Colorado's fail with blown engines or trannys by 120k. We are hard on our work vehicles and they get beat on. The engine oil gets changed sometime around every 5k miles, but sometimes it goes passed that before whoever is using the unit that day notices its passed due. and they are left to idle for almost all day when we are on scene doing stuff. not to say the department you bought yours from is the same, but we are usually pretty unforgiving on vehicles.

Gmule

Reaction score
I have a 94 Silverado with a 5.7 liter (Tbi) and a manual trans. It has almost 160,000 miles and some of the electrical is already going out (door locks). I was wondering how much it has left in it before expensive things start breaking lol. I don't know if this is the right thread or not sorry
Are you having a problem with just one door or all the door locks? If it’s just one door you can replace the lock actuator individually. If it’s all door locks I would recommend investigating the wiring that is in the door jamb between the door and body. A broken or partially broken wire can cause intermittent issues.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP: Being from Montana it could also be cracked wire jacketing at the door jamb. After thousands of open/close cycles in sub-zero temps, wire insulation can crack or wires can just fray/break.

Pull the rubber accordian boot back from the cab (and the door), and inspect. I had a Jetta that was giving wonky door & switch issues. Turns out every one of the 23 wires in the door jam wire bundle were cracked and a few were broke and frayed (causing the short). I just soldered the broken wires and taped/shrink wrapped the wires back up...all good now!

Check the switch too. Could be the motor as well.

Keep up with the little things as they pop up. Mine's been real reliable. 275k trouble-free miles so far.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:banghead:

Dang! Got me on that one! :oops:

Well, maybe another reader can benefit from reading the thread.