Refreshing the suspension on a C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The control arms and shocks need to be replaced on my 89 GMC. At the same time I'm also having a 2" drop spindle with a brake kit installed. The rear is being dropped 4".

The current plan is to have Ridetech arms and coilovers installed in front and for the rear just have the 4" drop compatible Bilsteins installed. The goal is to improve the ride comfort and handling without going all out while leaving a path to upgrading the rear suspension later.

I will be using it to move things for myself and friends as needed and as a daily driver. I will be doing some kind of swap in some years to make it more fun on the street. I may also rally it with friends entirely for fun so I won't be pushing it's limits. The goal is for it to be a reliable but more modern truck in these conditions.

My question for those of you that have been at this for a while, is this a solid plan?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The front sounds fine, it's the rear that concerns me. I've never heard of just lowering with just a shorter shock. I'm assuming it's shorter for when you actually lower it with shackles and hangers. You are not raising the springs up, which is what lowers the truck. I don't think you will achieve the results you are looking for, just a shock with way less travel.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The front sounds fine, it's the rear that concerns me. I've never heard of just lowering with just a shorter shock. I'm assuming it's shorter for when you actually lower it with shackles and hangers. You are not raising the springs up, which is what lowers the truck. I don't think you will achieve the results you are looking for, just a shock with way less travel.

That's a good point. I just thought that the shocks meant for lowered trucks would mean they were shocks that ensured proper angle and travel. Some quick research isn't giving me an answer one way or the other.

Our plan was actually to get it lowered and measure to ensure we got the right shocks and thought the bilsteins were the likely fit. I'll make sure to clarify with the shop just in case.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are looking for a tries and true method of lowering your rear 4", shackles and hangers have been the go to method on these trucks for 30yrs. And then that's where the "lowered" shocks come in. They will have the right amount of travel for being lowered, but they themselves will not lower the truck. And if they did....you probably wouldn't like the ride or load capacity when moving things for your buds.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I end up towing or have a load often then I'm planning on trying the Roadmaster Active Suspension on the leafs if i have room after it's lowered. If I'm disappointed with the handling or still have issues with wheel hop I might get those anyways.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The control arms and shocks need to be replaced on my 89 GMC. At the same time I'm also having a 2" drop spindle with a brake kit installed. The rear is being dropped 4".

The current plan is to have Ridetech arms and coilovers installed in front and for the rear just have the 4" drop compatible Bilsteins installed. The goal is to improve the ride comfort and handling without going all out while leaving a path to upgrading the rear suspension later.

I will be using it to move things for myself and friends as needed and as a daily driver. I will be doing some kind of swap in some years to make it more fun on the street. I may also rally it with friends entirely for fun so I won't be pushing it's limits. The goal is for it to be a reliable but more modern truck in these conditions.

My question for those of you that have been at this for a while, is this a solid plan?