RedHead Steeering Gears.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's time.....my 96 K1500 needs a steering gear and I'm tired of screwing with the parts store remans. What experience do you guys have with RedHead boxes?

Other suggestions are welcome. And thanks in advance.

Dre319

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Following. What issues are you having?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Following. What issues are you having?

96 K1500 ECSB. No lift, LT265/75 E tires.
My dad bought this truck new. Once in a while I drove it. Up to about 130k the truck drove EXCELLENT. Just the right amount of effort, centered itself perfectly. It drove noticeably better than my 91 K2500 LD that I bought new.

I got the truck at 165K. Steering was by that time a bit loose. About 30k ago I replaced EVERYTHING. Moog upper and lower BJ's, drag link, tie rods, adjusters, idler arm bracket and idler arm, pitman arm, a reman AC Delco steering gear, rebuilt AC Delco CV axles, Timken hub bearing assemblies.

I've since put two Oreillys steering gears in it. The current one has about 1500 miles on it and already has play. Thought about adjusting it but I've been down that road with this truck and other GMT K1500's--any benefit is short lived.

My son borrowed the truck the other night and said he was afraid he was going to get pulled over for drunk driving............

Dre319

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The front of my 98 k1500 is pretty much all new too. I only ask cause it has some play in my steering as well. My steering box has been replaced twice since I’ve had this truck and I purchased it back in 2000.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The front of my 98 k1500 is pretty much all new too. I only ask cause it has some play in my steering as well. My steering box has been replaced twice since I’ve had this truck and I purchased it back in 2000.

The auto parts stores remans are jumk. Redhead or AGR are a couple choices for allegedly upgraded rebuilt gears, or RockAuto had the BBB-Vision new steering gear. The alignment guy at the tire store says he has installed the BBB-Visions on a K1500 and the owner was recently back with a flat tire and reported the steering was great.

KO1960

Reaction score
I have only heard good things RedHead. Their prices are a bit steep, but I personally would spend a bit more for quality, especially considering the problem seems persistent.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I will probably try Bluetop.... owned/run by a former employee of Redhead, I believe. I have my original to get rebuilt. Currently, I have an AC Delco reman that is sloppy. I need to figure out a coolant leak before I mess with the steering, Though, and I should probably do rear brakes on the Saturn before I do that.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will probably try Bluetop.... owned/run by a former employee of Redhead, I believe. I have my original to get rebuilt. Currently, I have an AC Delco reman that is sloppy. I need to figure out a coolant leak before I mess with the steering, Though, and I should probably do rear brakes on the Saturn before I do that.

Haven't heard of Bluetop. I'll be googling.......

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bluetop also offers an upgrade to use needle bearing in place of the factory bushings for about the same price as a redhead. The bluetoo prices are with core, the redhead prices shown do not include core charge, this threw me off at first.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk