Recommended Maintenance while Engine is out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tr34

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1995 K1500 350 TBI, 4l60e and I'm getting ready to pull the engine out in the summer to replace the oil pan that's rusting out on it. I'm planning on fixing the rust on the frame and subframe in the engine bay and replacing the two fenders in the front that are rusting out as well.

Is there any maintenance that you recommend for me to do while I have the engine and transmission out? My truck has 165k miles on it, and this will be the first time the engine has been pulled out. The engine is stock.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pressure wash any oil leaks.
Inspect the condition of the motor mounts.
Inspect the tranny cooler lines.
Change the fuel filter

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
+300 on the brake and fuel lines!

Freeze plugs, Timing chain, Transmission pump (front) seal, Exhaust manifold gaskets and hardware.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, isn't everything easier with the engine out. So,...

- Pitman arm (so as to replace the integral ball joint)

- (optional) Steering gear (R/R with rebuilt unit, inc. U-joint in place of rag)

- hoses, both U/L radiator and heater

- remove quick-connect coolant fitting and replace with nipple, if applicable

Sure, these can be done with the engine in-place, but easier with it out... and all of these are typical service items in an older truck.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’ll definitely give you a different view at things and some will just reveal themselves.