Recommend a easy install reliable remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assumed it was hard wired, but thought maybe it just might utilize the factory signal. Thanks for the info. Did I see where you're a dealer for these. I'm thinking about just a basic unit for start and keyless entry.
pm sent

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will be able to find those factory wires (light blue and black/white) in the drivers door harness ...... door side will be the switch and the truck side will be the actuator....
We finally got around to doing it yesterday, thanks to @Wh4t3v3rs diagram and instructions.

I took my little battery charger and hooked up the controller and a relay to figure out which wire was the constant 12V+, it turned out to be pin #3 on the big connector. I pulled the 30A fuse and used a 10A since I'm only using the remote entry.

My son was hoping he could find the wiring harness under the dash somewhere but, after searching for a while, we decided to pull the door panel, oh well.
You must be registered for see images attach

Before installing it, I connected the power and lock/unlock wires on the bench with heat shrink crimp connectors.

On my 88 the Black/White wire turns into Black/Red before going into the door. So we connected the Light Blue and Black/Red. The biggest problem I ran into was self induced - I kept getting mixed up with wiring the relays. I forgot the sockets were the mirror image of the relays, doh! But I caught it before we installed them. The relays are behind the kick panel (we fished 4 wires through the door to cab boot). The controller is under the dash next to the Dakota Digital interface box. enlarging the already existing rat's nest :anitoof:

SOMETHING'S WRONG, IT WORKED THE 1ST TIME AND ACTUALLY LOCKS WHEN YOU PUSH "LOCK" BUTTON TOO :waytogo:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We finally got around to doing it yesterday, thanks to @Wh4t3v3rs diagram and instructions.

I took my little battery charger and hooked up the controller and a relay to figure out which wire was the constant 12V+, it turned out to be pin #3 on the big connector. I pulled the 30A fuse and used a 10A since I'm only using the remote entry.

My son was hoping he could find the wiring harness under the dash somewhere but, after searching for a while, we decided to pull the door panel, oh well.

Before installing it, I connected the power and lock/unlock wires on the bench with heat shrink crimp connectors.

On my 88 the Black/White wire turns into Black/Red before going into the door. So we connected the Light Blue and Black/Red. The biggest problem I ran into was self induced - I kept getting mixed up with wiring the relays. I forgot the sockets were the mirror image of the relays, doh! But I caught it before we installed them. The relays are behind the kick panel (we fished 4 wires through the door to cab boot). The controller is under the dash next to the Dakota Digital interface box. enlarging the already existing rat's nest :anitoof:

SOMETHING'S WRONG, IT WORKED THE 1ST TIME AND ACTUALLY LOCKS WHEN YOU PUSH "LOCK" BUTTON TOO :waytogo:
Don’t feel bad, I haven’t installed mine yet either. So yours didn’t go in a 400!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So yours didn’t go in a 400!
I'm not sure what you mean. It went into an '88 C1500 (1st year of GMT400). Or does the 400 mean something else? Looks like you're gonna do the remote start too, huh?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean. It went into an '88 C1500 (1st year of GMT400). Or does the 400 mean something else? Looks like you're gonna do the remote start too, huh?
Misunderstood that you installed on Dakota :crazy:
Where did you mount the RS?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Misunderstood that you installed on Dakota :crazy:
Where did you mount the RS?
Ah, OK. Yeah I was talking about mounting the controller next to my Dakota Digital Dash interface box. RS, meaning the little antenna? We popped the speaker grille under the windshield off, threaded the cable down through to the controller and stuck it on the side of the dashboard. He wanted to stick it up on the A pillar but, I said I don't need to unlock the doors from 1/4 mile away :anitoof:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, OK. Yeah I was talking about mounting the controller next to my Dakota Digital Dash interface box. RS, meaning the little antenna? We popped the speaker grille under the windshield off, threaded the cable down through to the controller and stuck it on the side of the dashboard. He wanted to stick it up on the A pillar but, I said I don't need to unlock the doors from 1/4 mile away :anitoof:
No I meant the RS box itself.

Attachments

• C81F1D39-ECE2-49F9-8CF6-B13876843CAA.jpeg
    C81F1D39-ECE2-49F9-8CF6-B13876843CAA.jpeg
    440 KB · Views: 1

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I meant the RS box itself.
Yeah, he just zip-tied it to the DD box under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. BTW he tapped the continuous 12V+/- using spade connectors in the junction block on the firewall. Hell, the DD dash box has been hanging out there for ~10 years or so :biggrin:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he just zip-tied it to the DD box under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. BTW he tapped the continuous 12V+/- using spade connectors in the junction block on the firewall. Hell, the DD dash box has been hanging out there for ~10 years or so :biggrin:
PlayingWithTBI I got a question for you. On my 96 RCLB with factory power locks, it locks/unlocks with switch on door whether key is on or off. After your install and splicing in relays, does door switch still retain same function?