Rebuilding the K1500 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
So I decided to rebuild the engine in the K1500, not because I need to(it does, because it's nasty)but, because I cracked the oil pan when I was replacing the clutch/slave cylinder. So this is why I decided to rebuild the engine:
I removed the transmission to replace the clutch and slave cylinder when I lost all clutch pedal one day. When I reinstalled the transmission, I apparently over-torqued one of the bolts on the bottom, although I wasn't trying to - it just happened because my garage floor isn't level. After I over-snugged it, I heard a CRACK, POP followed by a steady flow of oil onto my garage floor.
You must be registered for see images attach

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
The following weekend I remove the engine so I can begin the tare down process. I opted for removing the entire front end so I wouldn't have to fight the engine over the radiator support. After 5 hours I had the engine removed and could begin to take it apart. The plan was to delete the balance shaft and install a mild cam - but after a talk with my local machine shop that did the machine work on it - they told me that if I deleted the balance shaft and add a cam, I would have to reprogram the computer with the new timing curve. After thinking about it I decided to abort that idea for two reasons,at least for now: 1: adding cost; 2: This will be my main tow truck, so a mild cam may not be a good idea.