rebuilding stock vortec heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm on a pretty tight budget. Got the tahoe tore down and hadn't planned on doing the heads but figured at this point why not. I'm planning on cleaning the heads, valves, new valve stem seals, new LS6 springs with comp retainers and hand lapping the valves.

I have been looking online at seals and head gaskets. There seems to be several options, anyone else took on a project like this themselves? If so what part numbers and brands did you use? I like Felpro gaskets unless there is a better option.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, guess I'm gonna go with these parts. Let me know if I picked wrong. From what I read I can reuse my stock valve locks with these retainers.
You must be registered for see images attach

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good to me, I'm about to do the same to my Yukon using the same parts. Only thing I am doing different is I got head bolts from Jeg's, they were advertised as reusable (made by ARP?). I'm thinking I may switch rocker arms to Speed-Pro R-1023R, these are 1.6 ratio so it gains a wee bit of lift.

blackburb

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm on a pretty tight budget. Got the tahoe tore down and hadn't planned on doing the heads but figured at this point why not. I'm planning on cleaning the heads, valves, new valve stem seals, new LS6 springs with comp retainers and hand lapping the valves.

I have been looking online at seals and head gaskets. There seems to be several options, anyone else took on a project like this themselves? If so what part numbers and brands did you use? I like Felpro gaskets unless there is a better option.

Word of advice. Get the heads magnafluxed before you install the new parts! It should not cost you more than $50 if you disassemble and clean the heads before having them magnafluxed. Also have the machine shop check your valve guides for wear it’s a good time to have those replaced if they are out of spec. I hate to see you throw good parts at bad heads. The vortec castings are thin and crack easily. I had planned to do the same as you with my 218k 5.0 Vortec and found both heads had cracked between the valves @ #7 and #4 cylinders, which showed up as P0300 random misfire code. #7 would not build compression. #4 failed leak down test. Truck would not accelerate under load but easing into the throttle it would run 80mph down the highway.

Your choice of gaskets is good. Unless you are upgrading to a more aggressive cam or routinely run the motor up to redline under load(towing) I would not be concerned with heavier springs. Also check the forums here for the preferred metal backed lower intake manifold gaskets.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I already got the Felpro upper intake gasket set as that's what this project started as, but turned into pulling heads and timing set as well.

I'm gonna have the heads checked but if no cracks show I'll save tye machine shop money and freshen them up myself. If they are cracked I'm leaning towards the Summit vortec heads.

blackburb

Reaction score
I already got the Felpro upper intake gasket set as that's what this project started as, but turned into pulling heads and timing set as well.

I'm gonna have the heads checked but if no cracks show I'll save tye machine shop money and freshen them up myself. If they are cracked I'm leaning towards the Summit vortec heads.

Sounds like a good plan. Don’t forget the torque angle gauge to final torque the head bolts. I picked mine up last minute at the Zone.

FWIW: I grew up near Guthrie, Ok. My brother took my 218k Vortec short block and dropped it into his Cabellero with Summit Vortec heads, edelbrock intake and carb and ran strong 9’s 1/8m track. That motor still had the original hone marks top to bottom in every bore when we pulled the heads.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan. Don’t forget the torque angle gauge to final torque the head bolts. I picked mine up last minute at the Zone.

FWIW: I grew up near Guthrie, Ok. My brother took my 218k Vortec short block and dropped it into his Cabellero with Summit Vortec heads, edelbrock intake and carb and ran strong 9’s 1/8m track. That motor still had the original hone marks top to bottom in every bore when we pulled the heads.

I do not use vortec head bolts or torque to yeild specs. Have better luck not using the stretch bolts and the older bolts are reusable.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Allow ample time for returns to RockAuto, they screw up a lot of orders.
Northern Auto Parts in Iowa has good prices and I haven't had a order problem from them, maybe 25 different orders.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thankx for the replies. I should have the heads off within the week if weather don't screw me. I got the motor to TDC, timing cover, distributor and lower intake pulled after work yesterday.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. As said, if the RPM is not increased, you don't need stiffer valve springs, which means you also don't need different retainers. (assumes the existing valve springs are not defective.)
2. Are you sure those retainers are compatible with those valve springs? I didn't research compatibility.
3. Yeah, Vortec heads crack.
4. Yeah, valves and valve guides wear out. You do anything to the guides--new guides, new guide liners, knurl the guides, or ream the guides for oversize stems, you'll be cutting the seats, too.
5. WHAT lapping compound are you going to use? Permatex lapping compound--the grease type or the water-based type, both sold at typical auto-parts stores--are so coarse you might as well get some sand out of a kid's sandbox. I use "Clover" lapping compound, 400 grit--and I probably should have bought 600 or finer.
6. I verify valve face-to-valve seat sealing with a vacuum tester. Most folks won't have access to that equipment, though. Depending on wear to the valve faces and valve seats, lapping may not produce a proper seal. You may need the faces and seats cut/ground.
7. Are those valve stem seals compatible with your valve guides? Last set of valve seals I installed--on aftermarket heads, not Vortecs--were Viton, not metal-bodied, and didn't need the guides cut down to fit.
8. Are Vortec head bolts Torque-To-Yield (TTY)? I didn't know that. I assumed they were plain ol' ordinary reusable bolts.
9. How thick are those head gaskets? My TBI 5.7L had the pistons .025--.028 in the hole. A .015 thick head gasket would have been plenty thick. Stock was, I think .028 thick. Makes for lazy combustion due to lack of quench/squish. I bet that gasket is .040, which will be even worse. I had my block zero-decked, and then used a Summit-branded head gasket at .039 thick.
10. You have the timing cover off? Is the damper grooved where the seal rides? (almost certainly is.) You'll want a repair sleeve to cover the groove. About $7, easy to install. I've used Fel-Pro and Timken repair sleeves most recently, but there are other suppliers. They all go on about the same way. Start 'em straight and use a block of wood between the hammer and the sleeve. They'll come with some red sealant, apply to the outside of the damper at the leading edge. Don't forget to re-seal the damper and keyway when you press it back onto the crank snout. The Vortec plastic timing cover is supposedly one-use-only, but I'd consider changing the seal, and adding some sealant to the "gasket area" of the cover, and slapping it right back in place. Never actually done that, though.
11. For those of you changing rocker arms, be aware that you need either self-aligning (self-guiding) rockers, or regular rockers plus guideplates plus screw-in rocker studs plus HARDENED pushrods. Self-guiding rockers are the easy solution.

Last edited: