Rebuilding Rear Drums

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grube

Reaction score
12 year old thread still proving helpful! Appreciated the write up today as I was doing my 11” rear drums, was having trouble getting the adjuster to line up correctly on rear right wheel.. then I realized park brake to that wheel was seized which was giving me the trouble.. new cable on order now..
got a question though, I didn’t see these little clips in the write up, or in my drums as I disassembled… I got hardware kit from NAPA.. found a home for everything except these little things.. dunno what are they for, and if they are important maybe I need to get back in there lol…

Attachments

• IMG_6856.jpeg
    IMG_6856.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 11

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
12 year old thread still proving helpful! Appreciated the write up today as I was doing my 11” rear drums, was having trouble getting the adjuster to line up correctly on rear right wheel.. then I realized park brake to that wheel was seized which was giving me the trouble.. new cable on order now..
got a question though, I didn’t see these little clips in the write up, or in my drums as I disassembled… I got hardware kit from NAPA.. found a home for everything except these little things.. dunno what are they for, and if they are important maybe I need to get back in there lol…

Those are for blocking the holes in the backing plate. I prefer the rubber ones myself.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yup those are the metal style. I also prefer to use the rubber ones.

Grube

Reaction score
Well I am opening the right rear drum up again today, got new AC Delco park brake cable to install.
New cable spring about 7/8” longer than the one I’m removing, hopefully that’s a non-issue. Will found out soon

Attachments

• IMG_1971.jpeg
    IMG_1971.jpeg
    478.6 KB · Views: 7

Grube

Reaction score
Well I am opening the right rear drum up again today, got new AC Delco park brake cable to install.
New cable spring about 7/8” longer than the one I’m removing, hopefully that’s a non-issue. Will found out soon

Yeah, potential issues still. Maybe I need to pickup an adjuster service kit, new adjuster parts might fix my issues ?
I did trim the park cable return spring to match the length of the one that was removed as well, as it was too long, still seems a bit long to be honest

The issue I’m having is the adjuster arm is not resting on the star wheel properly, rather it wants to sit above it.. video for those interested - maybe I’m missing something - but I assemble passenger side the same way (mirror image) and that side works fine. I thought the issue was the seized park cable but seems like maybe more than that..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

EDIT - picked up a new adjuster kit, pretty sure it’s the piece I pointed at in the video, bent. Maybe from park brake being locked up put stresss on it caused it to bend…
Can see new one beside old one in photo, old one bent makes it roughly 1/4” longer

Attachments

• IMG_1973.jpeg
    IMG_1973.jpeg
    566.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: