Rebuilding HVAC box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wine Hill

Reaction score
Doing a rebuild on this HVAC box. And going to replace actuators, flaps,doors, ect. Looking for a site that possibly breaks down step by step. Or is anyone aware if the Chilton's manual does that for me. Just starting the project.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knowing what year and specific model helps. I have an '88 and '89, so my input comes from working on those.

They're fairly straight-forward. I went to Pull-A-Part and found two boxes, each damaged. I took them apart on a tailgate and mixed-and-matched until I have a nice box. I then took it home, blew it apart again and cleaned it, and I have it ready to reinstall in Roscoe.

There's a screen that goes over the evaporator core and has chintzy staples that are supposed to hold it in place but don't do diddly. I pinched the staples out and replaced them with zip ties. Align the zip tie with a slot in the evaporator core. Poke it through the screen, slide it through the core, and use the head of another zip tie to hold it to the back side of the core.

I used RTV to seal all the case splits. If you do this, the case isn't coming back apart easily. Use a minimal amount of RTV. I dabbed it on my finger and then rubbed small amounts down into the channel.

If I get a chance and feel froggy this afternoon I'll video a run through my spare HVAC box, but no promises.

Wine Hill

Reaction score
Knowing what year and specific model helps. I have an '88 and '89, so my input comes from working on those.

They're fairly straight-forward. I went to Pull-A-Part and found two boxes, each damaged. I took them apart on a tailgate and mixed-and-matched until I have a nice box. I then took it home, blew it apart again and cleaned it, and I have it ready to reinstall in Roscoe.

There's a screen that goes over the evaporator core and has chintzy staples that are supposed to hold it in place but don't do diddly. I pinched the staples out and replaced them with zip ties. Align the zip tie with a slot in the evaporator core. Poke it through the screen, slide it through the core, and use the head of another zip tie to hold it to the back side of the core.

I used RTV to seal all the case splits. If you do this, the case isn't coming back apart easily. Use a minimal amount of RTV. I dabbed it on my finger and then rubbed small amounts down into the channel.

If I get a chance and feel froggy this afternoon I'll video a run through my spare HVAC box, but no promises.
I was looking at the screen also. Thanks for the zip tie idea.