Rear wheel bearing? - 99 Suburban C2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking on Rock Auto and for a 'cross pin bolt' they have this >> https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...&jsn=8027&jsn=8027&jsn=8027&jsn=8027&jsn=8027

Which looks nothing like what I've seen being pulled from G80s.
Any idea which Ford to look for it as a fitment? Where else are they available from?
The 'cross pin' is as per expected - so don't think I have my terminology muddled. What isn't expected is two listed as genuine GM parts, part numbers GM 14012700 and GM 14039025. The difference appears to be that the former is 0.227'' longer and about half the price! Is either suitable for my diff? Why are there two of them offered?

There is something funny with the RockAuto listing of the pin bolt. 14012702 shows up on other sites as the proper bolt, but shows a pack of 10 on RockAuto. I would suggest calling a drivetrain supplier or GM dealer about the pin and other parts as two pins are also listed on GM site and I see mention of first and second design on RockAuto for clutches.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is something funny with the RockAuto listing of the pin bolt.
I could always ask them to clarify.
14012702 shows up on other sites as the proper bolt, but shows a pack of 10 on RockAuto.
Where are you finding that on Rock Auto site? I can't find it anywhere there.
I've found it elsewhere on the 'net eg, GM parts store. But they want to charge me $55 to deliver to UK.
I would suggest calling a drivetrain supplier or GM dealer about the pin and other parts as two pins are also listed on GM site
The GM parts store appears quite amenable to queries. I'll try cross checking it with my VIN first.
and I see mention of first and second design on RockAuto for clutches.
I saw that somewhere as well. So far though I've only seen the 5 plates for the RHS listed anywhere. What to do about the LHS remains a mystery.

At this point in time I'm checking availability of pinion cross pin, its bolt, and C-clips - and hoping that tightens the errant wheel enough for August MOT test.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The GM parts store appears quite amenable to queries. I'll try cross checking it with my VIN first.
When entering my details (but not VIN) both cross pins are offered as suitable.
I've 'contacted' them (with VIN) to ask why two are listed.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On Rock, you have to click the tab for "part # search" and then enter the # in the field for the part #. It's not exactly intuitive, as most would enter their part # on the search field and their site doesn't work that way.

Anyhow, they do have the listing, but it's out of stock. :/

Several sites seem to show it as quantity 10 which is confusing. an eBay listing as well as amazon...

Richard

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On Rock, you have to click the tab for "part # search" and then enter the # in the field for the part #. It's not exactly intuitive, as most would enter their part # on the search field and their site doesn't work that way.

Anyhow, they do have the listing, but it's out of stock. :/

I did get to that page - then clicked the 'part catalogue' tab as instructed and went for a run around the houses re-entering vehicle details.
Hit the 'notify me' tab this time around - as I did earlier for brake rotors....
Several sites seem to show it as quantity 10 which is confusing. an eBay listing as well as amazon...

Richard
Like I have ten diffs all needing attention!

GM Parts Store e-mailed - asking why I abandoned buying a $2.77 item with a $53 delivery charge.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked up the cross pin bolt for my truck, and it shows two part numbers depending on whether it has the 8.5" or 9.5" ring gear. Interesting, but not surprising. The bolt pictured in the RockAuto listing for your truck wouldn't be a problem, so I may have stirred up trouble for nothing. I just know that the style pin it shows for my truck is a problematic design.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked up the cross pin bolt for my truck, and it shows two part numbers depending on whether it has the 8.5" or 9.5" ring gear. Interesting, but not surprising. The bolt pictured in the RockAuto listing for your truck wouldn't be a problem, so I may have stirred up trouble for nothing. I just know that the style pin it shows for my truck is a problematic design.
I don’t think you stirred anything up, you made a good point about the bolt failure. The bolt pictured on RA is not correct, not sure what that is for.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked up the cross pin bolt for my truck, and it shows two part numbers depending on whether it has the 8.5" or 9.5" ring gear. Interesting, but not surprising.
Not knowing which truck you have.... but could 2500s (as er mine) always have been fitted with a 9.5'' ring gear?
The bolt pictured in the RockAuto listing for your truck wouldn't be a problem, so I may have stirred up trouble for nothing. I just know that the style pin it shows for my truck is a problematic design.
Forewarned is forearmed!
I came across a YT vid of a guy stripping out a 9.5'' and the bolt broke - it happens on 9.5''s!
He was luck and managed to fish it out but I've encountered enough broken bolts to know how much of a PITA they can be.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not knowing which truck you have.... but could 2500s (as er mine) always have been fitted with a 9.5'' ring gear?

Forewarned is forearmed!
I came across a YT vid of a guy stripping out a 9.5'' and the bolt broke - it happens on 9.5''s!
He was luck and managed to fish it out but I've encountered enough broken bolts to know how much of a PITA they can be.
2500 wouldn't come with anything smaller than a 9.5", but plenty of 2500's came with the full floater - 10.5"

Richard