Rear wheel bearing? - 99 Suburban C2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I almost wish we had MOT inspections here. There'd be a lot less rolling wrecks on the road. Then again, last time I was in England, one of the airmen I was working with had bought a cheap car, and he was looking at spending about £1000 to get it inspected and road-worthy.
Yes I agree about vehicle inspections. Texas has them, but depending on the shop and inspector, they can be picky or not. My guy checks the vehicle on his machine to be sure it passes emissions and there's no codes. And he looks at it to be sure there's not an obvious issue. But he's used to dealing with older vehicles, and he knows my truck. So it's passed with a crack all the way across the windshield. But all my lights work, safety equipment works and is there, got good tires, etc. I see cars every day on the roads, that wouldn't pass...and as sketchy as the last 3 years have been, probably didn't.
There's a lot of cash sales of vehicles here,and tons of paper plate fraud.....

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I almost wish we had MOT inspections here. There'd be a lot less rolling wrecks on the road. Then again, last time I was in England, one of the airmen I was working with had bought a cheap car, and he was looking at spending about £1000 to get it inspected and road-worthy.
You have both sides of the argument right there. It weeds out the most dangerous vehicles but at the same time is a constant headache as to what it might cost in repairs to get a test pass. In truth, the cost part is more about failing the engine emissions part where a bucket of money can be spent especially on newish more complex engines and diesels. Fortunately the L31 is neither and on LPG runs pretty cleanly (and could be tweaked with a lap-top if it didn't pass that at first attempt). Corrosion - especially further north - is another killer. Anything from a rotted brake pipe to major structural. Where subframes attach to the shell are common fail points - again, not a concern with a GMT400. Diligent preventative maintenance makes a world of difference. The MOT inspector shouldn't be telling me anything I don't already know. Ask me in August how that panned out!

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
You have both sides of the argument right there. It weeds out the most dangerous vehicles but at the same time is a constant headache as to what it might cost in repairs to get a test pass. In truth, the cost part is more about failing the engine emissions part where a bucket of money can be spent especially on newish more complex engines and diesels. Fortunately the L31 is neither and on LPG runs pretty cleanly (and could be tweaked with a lap-top if it didn't pass that at first attempt). Corrosion - especially further north - is another killer. Anything from a rotted brake pipe to major structural. Where subframes attach to the shell are common fail points - again, not a concern with a GMT400. Diligent preventative maintenance makes a world of difference. The MOT inspector shouldn't be telling me anything I don't already know. Ask me in August how that panned out!
Diligent preventive maintenance is a must with any vehicle you want to keep up, even in the "rust free" South.
My Burb is far from perfect, but I'm trying to take care of it,so what is below standard doesn't get worse. If another vehicle comes into the garage, I will do my due diligence on it too.
And that may include " this is my truck and Nobody! eats in it!".... we'll see, don't want to jinx anything!

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update time. Passed MOT (annual safety inspection) without the axial play on the rear wheel even being mentioned. A relief.
I had been told that old Land Rovers have similar play and, that Jaguars with the old IRS set-up that uses the drive shaft as a top link are cut some slack when there's a trace of wheel rock up and down ways due to the slight plunge of the drive shaft in the diff - not too dissimilar to mine in it being play in the diff showing at the hub.

Anyway, the big worry of it failing its test is over. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and brought me up to speed on the intricacies of GM's method of axle shaft retention. Cheers!

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Update time. Passed MOT (annual safety inspection) without the axial play on the rear wheel even being mentioned. A relief.
I had been told that old Land Rovers have similar play and, that Jaguars with the old IRS set-up that uses the drive shaft as a top link are cut some slack when there's a trace of wheel rock up and down ways due to the slight plunge of the drive shaft in the diff - not too dissimilar to mine in it being play in the diff showing at the hub.

Anyway, the big worry of it failing its test is over. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and brought me up to speed on the intricacies of GM's method of axle shaft retention. Cheers!
Good to hear, congratulations! I know from you and other members, that the UK/European vehicle inspections are much more stringent than ours. Some states don't even have a vehicle safety inspection process or requirements.
Texas varies widely on how much they look at the vehicle. The guy we use is used to older vehicles, and they know our trucks. A check engine light is allowed under certain circumstances; they put the vehicle on a scanner that tells them what the codes are and if it's for things that will/won't pass. OBD-II has really improved things in that regard.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Pinger I think we had a discussion about my redneck "case spreader" in a photo I posted in a different thread, which you reposted...I can't recall where that thread went... I think @Schurkey had a question about how much the case actually opened up, which I have no idea; other than it opens up enough to enable you to gently tap the shims instead of beating the hell out of them and deforming them.:)

Anyways, I regularly watch this guy who seems to be into some sort of drag racing (I really only watch his TH400 videos but decided to watch this one) and he happened to mention the issue with not spreading the case and just driving the shims in to establish carrier side bearing preload. His video is actually regarding the legendary 9" Ford
:rolleyes:

At the 7:20 minute mark he mentions it. Mind you, he does explicitly says this affects high performance applications, so probably doesn't even apply to us stock guys. Just thought I'd share to this with you.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited: