Rear Wheel Alignment... solid axle... wtf?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
So it's my understanding that you cannot align a solid rear axle - no? So that present an issue for me, as my right rear tire clearly has negative camber. What would cause this? See Below

You can't really tell from the picture, but I can hang a string from the fender, and it falls into the lip of the tire at the bottom, where as it clears the top completely.

You must be registered for see images attach

Compared to the driver side:

You must be registered for see images attach

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Wish I was as mechanically as knowledgeable as some of you. If a bearing was going out, wouldn't the wheel wobble'ish when going down the road? As a bit of info - I have intermittent steering wheel vibration that fades in and out every 20 minutes or so on the freeway. It likes, you can barely feel it start, and slowly it gets stronger to where your hand is shaking back and forth (lightly) on the steering wheel and then it slowly goes away - all but 20 seconds or so out of every 20 minutes.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Only way to know if it actually does have negative camber is to put it on the rack and see what it says for in or out of tolerances.

If it does have excessive negative camber the axle is likely bent. I've seen negative camber added to solid axles before by some roundy round car guys. It usually involved the smoke wrench and some bending.....wheel bearing life is shortened but they corner a bit better.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Only way to know if it actually does have negative camber is to put it on the rack and see what it says for in or out of tolerances.

If it does have excessive negative camber the axle is likely bent. I've seen negative camber added to solid axles before by some roundy round car guys. It usually involved the smoke wrench and some bending.....wheel bearing life is shortened but they corner a bit better.

This makes me think about the trucking pulling towards one direction or the other. Roundy Round guys turn left, and they probably add the negative camber to the passenger side, right? 2 + 2 =

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
This makes me think about the trucking pulling towards one direction or the other. Roundy Round guys turn left, and they probably add the negative camber to the passenger side, right? 2 + 2 =

Naw, you're going down the wrong trail now.

If bent, most likely cause is overloading and road hazard.

Or something totally ridiculous like someone caught air with it....

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Try jacking up the rear end and spin the rear wheels and see if it wobbles. If it's bent at the outer end, then it should wobble. If it's bent towards the middle, you might be able to see it with a straight edge. And you might be chewing up and axle tip in the spider gears.
If you have a wheel bearing gone bad, then you would feel up and down play in the wheel.

Last edited:

tlshaner11

Reaction score
check ride height on both sides, one side lower then the other can appear this way, axle bent can cause wobble, vibration and possible noises due to brake drums/rotors hitting backing plates, caliper sliding so on and so forth.