Rear main seal leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a rear main seal leak in my 99 454. I have lost 1.75 quarts since April (or 1,330 miles).

I have a choice to have someone fix it, or save the money and build a replacement.

My question to everyone here is; which would you do?

I plan on having the truck forever. Pull boats or toys once it's healthy. It currently has 221200 miles.

I appreciate any insight, and thank you in advance.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Depends on your mechanical abilities. The engine and transmission will need to be separated. And the flexplate/flywheel removed. It’s a 1 piece. So it should remove from the rear. Not needing to remove the oil pan and rear main cap.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I got mine it was dumping out the rear main. I jerked the engine and bought a full gasket set and timing chain, resealed it, and dropped it back in. Way easier for my old decrepit body to pull the engine and put it on a stand then wrestle a trans/transfer case around. With a little help out and in a weekend. That was 8 years ago @228. Odometer quit 4 years ago at 278 and it's still rolling.

If the engine is sound otherwise I'd do the main/gaskets and keep rolling.

Reaction score
I decided to have someone drop the tranny and fix the seal. Originally, I was told incorrect information--why I didn't think it was as "simple". I greatly appreciate everyones reply.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just drop the tranny and change the seal. Find a buddy with a lift or borrow a tranny jack.

It would be ideal to let that seal leak (if it wasn't a burdon) until the tranny pooped. I would rather stab a new tranny back than remove/install an old tranny. However, the world never deals in "ideal" situations.

I like the previous suggestion of pulling the engine. I would love to do that and clean up the engine/engine bay.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A few months ago I had the same issue. It turned out to be the oil pan gasket leaking not the rear main, so I pulled the engine. A few grand later, I installed a completely rebuilt engine back in the Suburban. I went in thinking it would be a fairly easy fix, but the deeper I got in, the more I found wrong until I just decided to do the complete rebuild. I'm very glad I did it, now I know for certain what condition my engine is in.

Reaction score
Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Or you'll wind up fixing it until it is broke. Just replace the seal and get on with it.

Reaction score
All great insight!! Thanks!!

Yes. Knowing for certain what the condition would be at the end of a rebuild was the appeal in it.

Since it runs fine otherwise, I am going with the "fix whats wrong, and move on". Save pennies for when it really rains.

Thanks again.