Rear Leaf & Torsion Bar Removal - Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/...th-Accessories-Battery-Not-Included/574572427
I used one of these to modify our exhaust at the race track last weekend - our team captain bought it on the way to the track. It's not as powerful as the plug-in version, but it worked fine. Note that the battery is sold separately.

I have the dewalt version and I use it ALL THE TIME. It just came in a kit, I didn't even buy it intentionally but trust me, you will find uses for it.

Just make sure you get carbide blades if you want to cut through metal. Even cutting regular nails and screws takes a while since that little thing doesn't have a lot of power and those blades are thin. You need all the help you can get.

Zerio29

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll see about renting the tool. In theory, if i unload the tension and remove the UCA & LCA bolts, can i take out the whole thing in one piece?

Im considering nabbing the whole truck as it is only 800 bucks.

When I took mine out, I put a floor jack under the LCA and took the ball joint off the knuckle and then just let the jack down to release the tension from the Tbars. I also had to cut the crossmember to get the Tbars out of the keys. then took the LCA bolts out. So it just drops as a Tbar with the LCA attached and the torsion key. I just took them to the shop and used the press to get them out.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Good luck getting the torsion bars out of the crossmember OR the control arms.

They're supposed to come out, but my experience is that they'll fight you.

The difference between 6-lug and 8-lug upper arms.

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the tips. Unfortunately for me, the truck got sold whole before i was able to get there last weekend. But hey, now i know for next time. Cheers!

92GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Good luck getting the torsion bars out of the crossmember OR the control arms.

They're supposed to come out, but my experience is that they'll fight you.

The difference between 6-lug and 8-lug upper arms.

Great comparison picture, thanks for that. The difference is clear as mud.