Rear end swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awlsn1

Reaction score
I've got a 98 k1500. It's has a rpo code of gt4 Soo it's 3.73 ratio. I was just wondering if I could take a 99 1500 rear end with same ratio but just with a g80 locker. Will it bolt up? Or not ? Maybe just all guts and everything and put it my rear end ?

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 98 k1500. It's has a rpo code of gt4 Soo it's 3.73 ratio. I was just wondering if I could take a 99 1500 rear end with same ratio but just with a g80 locker. Will it bolt up? Or not ? Maybe just all guts and everything and put it my rear end ?

Maybe just all guts and everything and put it my rear end ?

Yes, most people with experience with the G80 option would like to put it up someone's rearend. An engineer in Detroit most likely.

beaugranbois

Reaction score
No, will not fit directly. I know that the pads are in different locations but I believe the housing is the same width. And as far as I’ve hear you can pull the g80 out of a newer body style I’m and put it into an osb. I’ve heard that they are a little different but will work. So either way there gonna be a lot of work. I would look for an obs with the g80, they are pretty available and the gt4 is the most popular ratio. Or you could buy an aftermarket locker, which is probably what I would do.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I had a G80 diff I'd be looking for an open diff instead. Best option is an aftermarket diff of your choice.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, will not fit directly. I know that the pads are in different locations but I believe the housing is the same width. And as far as I’ve hear you can pull the g80 out of a newer body style I’m and put it into an osb. I’ve heard that they are a little different but will work. So either way there gonna be a lot of work. I would look for an obs with the g80, they are pretty available and the gt4 is the most popular ratio. Or you could buy an aftermarket locker, which is probably what I would do.

Yes, I think this is correct. OP didnt specify, but I understood 99 NBS GMT 800. Those had rear discs.