Rear end rebuild help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zachary97

Reaction score
So I’m rebuilding the 10 bolt in my 98 and I can’t get the setup right and I’m wondering if anyone knows what I need to change?

You must be registered for see images attach

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like you need to shim your pinion a smidge more. Your ring depth looks to be good. Shim your pinion a little more, and see how it is

zachary97

Reaction score
Looks like you need to shim your pinion a smidge more. Your ring depth looks to be good. Shim your pinion a little more, and see how it is
I did that was with a 0.23 pinion shim and 0.6 backlash I changed it to a 0.33 shim and I didn’t see much of a change

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like you still need a thicker pinion shim. But this will probably help you out a lot, I believe this ring gear is a Face Hobbing style gear

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I did not know there were two styles of gear machining, or that you had to know how the gears were made in order to get the pattern correct.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I did not know there were two styles of gear machining, or that you had to know how the gears were made in order to get the pattern correct.
If I'm not mistaken a Face Hobbing is the most common form of gear in a passenger vehicle, and a Face Milling gear is more common in heavy duty applications. And if you dont know what to look for, it's honestly extremely difficult to tell which is which.

zachary97

Reaction score
Alright so I put more shins on the pinion went firm 38 to 54 also there was a .38 shim in there not a .33 like I said before.set the backlash a little higher at 7 still not 100% on how the pattern looks.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help but here's another set of instructions. It almost looks to me like you need to shim the ring gear to the right a little before you shim the pinion? Did you save the shim setup from before and put the same shims back in? I had to move mine over about .005" when I went from 3.42s to 4.11s

Attachments

• Standard Gear ring and pinion setup.pdf
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 5

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not know there were two styles of gear machining, or that you had to know how the gears were made in order to get the pattern correct.
In the Standard gear instructions they call it old 5 cut and new 2 cut gears - 2 cut is cheaper to produce, ha ha

zachary97

Reaction score
After an hour of swapping shims i finally found the problem the inner pinion bearing race was not fully seated.so I started over .35 on the pinion got a better pattern but not there’s yet