Rear end lost bearing swapped 98 Yukon turns out bigger brakes!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I didn't know a Yukon had bigger drums. I'm almost finished with the swap. Just have one e brake cable left.
Will these bigger brakes work alot better. This truck sucks for stopping power for sure

You must be registered for see images attach

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More pics

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bigger brakes should increase braking power but the rears only account for about 30% of your braking anyway. An unloaded pickup under hard braking maybe less.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bigger brakes should increase braking power but the rears only account for about 30% of your braking anyway. An unloaded pickup under hard braking maybe less.
I wonder if the GMC Yukon uses bigger brakes on the front as well

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Check the RPO codes, and then look at the specs.....warning, the manuals don't always give the correct descriptions for the different brake codes. Richard (Someotherguy) has a picture out of a manual that shows the wear limit for a drum to be something ridiculous..... 100 mm larger than it should be, or some non-sense like that. My own manual shows my shoe width to be only 2.5" wide.... they're not. They're 3 or 3.5".

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the RPO codes, and then look at the specs.....warning, the manuals don't always give the correct descriptions for the different brake codes. Richard (Someotherguy) has a picture out of a manual that shows the wear limit for a drum to be something ridiculous..... 100 mm larger than it should be, or some non-sense like that. My own manual shows my shoe width to be only 2.5" wide.... they're not. They're 3 or 3.5".
I found out I have the 11 inch drums. My old we're 10 I guess. I have to go back to the junkyard and look at what's on the front of that Yukon.
Realistically I need a 2500 or 3500 truck for hauling firewood. I must have had too much weight. So I can't expect this junkyard axle with unknown miles to do better. However the fluid looked brand new in it so it was at least changed. I didn't drive it much yet but the brakes seem the same but suspect they will shine when sudden use comes up

Reaction score
Probably should grab the proportioning valve from the Yukon. I did the same thing and the rears will lock up especially on wet roads. Front brakes are the same.

qukon 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
August 76 after you get the rear end swap check measurements I measured mine yesterday it's 1/4 off on one side I swapped this rear end years ago.
I didn't see any work parts I'll see if I can adjust it before I get a wheel alignment after replacing pitman arm