Rear end hum again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hell the impact wouldnt even take them off, after I broke them loose. It just sat there and hammered but wouldnt turn at all. Guess we need a new impact at the shop.

They're weird coming off. The length of the bolt allows it to flex and soak up the impacts. You should be able to shove a larger than stock sized u bolt through there, I believe on the dually I went with a 9/16" bolt, biggest I could fit through the plates. Had them custom made at a muffler shop.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a pic I took today just before I installed it. Notice the added drain plug on the cover.
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell the impact wouldnt even take them off, after I broke them loose. It just sat there and hammered but wouldnt turn at all. Guess we need a new impact at the shop.
Put a pressure gauge in the air hose AT THE TOOL INLET. You need to have 90 psi at the tool, when the tool is working--impacting on a stuck bolt or whatever.

Three things I needed in my system:

1. I replaced the Tru-Flate style (Milton T) air couplers with "European" "High-Flow" (Milton V) couplers. Around here, the Milton V couplers had to be ordered from the parts house, they didn't stock them. Amazon has 'em, too.

2. Turned the pressure regulator up to 130 psi. I need long air hoses, I lose about 40 psi in the hose when I pull the trigger on the tool.

3. CLEANED THE INLET SCREEN on my air wrench. It was 1/3 or more plugged with debris. This was easy enough, just a matter of unscrewing the inlet coupler fitting, then the inlet fitting that comes with the impact wrench. The screen inside is then accessible. I had to pick at the debris, then blow it out with compressed air.

Each of these three things improved performance.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Put a pressure gauge in the air hose AT THE TOOL INLET. You need to have 90 psi at the tool, when the tool is working--impacting on a stuck bolt or whatever.

Three things I needed in my system:

1. I replaced the Tru-Flate style (Milton T) air couplers with "European" "High-Flow" (Milton V) couplers. Around here, the Milton V couplers had to be ordered from the parts house, they didn't stock them. Amazon has 'em, too.

2. Turned the pressure regulator up to 130 psi. I need long air hoses, I lose about 40 psi in the hose when I pull the trigger on the tool.

3. CLEANED THE INLET SCREEN on my air wrench. It was 1/3 or more plugged with debris. This was easy enough, just a matter of unscrewing the inlet coupler fitting, then the inlet fitting that comes with the impact wrench. The screen inside is then accessible. I had to pick at the debris, then blow it out with compressed air.

Each of these three things improved performance.
This was done at work. We have 2 very large air compressors there set to 125 PSI each. The impact is old, and the nuts were hard to come off even using my torque wrench. But your advice is sound.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So Im working on the brake in. Drove 4 miles home from the shop around 6:00 last night. Let it sit for 30 mins, then drove 10 miles,and let it sit over night. This morning, I drove it 16 miles, then came back home, and let it sit for maybe 2 hours. Left again and went another 15 miles, then let it sit for about another 2 hours. Early this afternoon, I put it on the HWY. I figured with about 45 miles of in town driving, it was ready for the HWY. I got it to 70, and all was good. Then 75, and 80, still no noise at all. So with lite traffic, I brought it up to 100 for about 1 min. Still all good. Backed off back to 75, and at that, 2500 RPMs. No noise at all from the diff. Im at just under 100 miles now, and home for the night. I know I still have to take it easy, no burn outs, no pulling anything for 500 miles.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So Im working on the brake in. Drove 4 miles home from the shop around 6:00 last night. Let it sit for 30 mins, then drove 10 miles,and let it sit over night. This morning, I drove it 16 miles, then came back home, and let it sit for maybe 2 hours. Left again and went another 15 miles, then let it sit for about another 2 hours. Early this afternoon, I put it on the HWY. I figured with about 45 miles of in town driving, it was ready for the HWY. I got it to 70, and all was good. Then 75, and 80, still no noise at all. So with lite traffic, I brought it up to 100 for about 1 min. Still all good. Backed off back to 75, and at that, 2500 RPMs. No noise at all from the diff. Im at just under 100 miles now, and home for the night. I know I still have to take it easy, no burn outs, no pulling anything for 500 miles.

I agree take it slow do it right. No sense in rushing lol