Rear end hum again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does your shop have a hoist? When I did mine without a hoist, we (my son and I) dropped the whole rear end and put it up on my work bench. Made it a lot easier for this 65 (at the time) year old fart who doesn't do bend overs well! Just saying :33:

You must be registered for see images attach

Set it on 2 jack stands and you're all set.

Enjoy your project and don't leave too much rubber in the parking lot:anitoof:
Yes we have a hoist. Plans are, I will pull it in the C&C shop, then bring the diff over to the welding shop maybe inside of my welding booth, not sure yet. I can leave my truck there for several days. We have a fork lift and a bunch of straps. I rebuilt 4 pipe jacks Friday, so we have 6 all together. We also have 2 jack stands, and I will bring 2 more from home, along with my 3 ton floor jack. We have several carts I can put it on. We also have a cart with V blocks, and have several V blocks I could put on a cart, or table. (LOL, like you, Im to old), and Im to fat to do this on the floor.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A broken carrier, WOW, good thing I got the truerrac. Just need to pull the pinion, then start reassembly.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Getting the pinion out was very tough. I started with an aluminum driff, and a 2 Lb shop hammer. It didnt budge. So since I am replacing the ring and pinion anyway, I said to hell with it. I grabbed the biggest sledge hammer we have a 16 LB beast. I had my coworker, hold the 2 LB hammer on the end of the pinion, and I hit it with the 16 LB sledge. I had to hit it several times before it even broke loose. Finally it started to move. I drove it as far as I could untill the yoke was flush with the pinion threads. At that point, I grabbed another driff, and that finished it up with the 2 LB shop hammer.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its all together. Everything is within spec, and the contact pattern looks good. I will install it tomorrow.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its all together. Everything is within spec, and the contact pattern looks good. I will install it tomorrow.

Man that's awesome you can do mine next lol. Btw. Do you know the torque specs for the u bolts and the shackles?