Rear end hum again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well it looks like Im going to have to do some rear end work again. Last time was 2012. Its humming on acceleration. Get worse at about 45. Kind of fades in around 35 and after 55 or 60, fades out. Let off of the gas, and it goes away more or less. I will jack up the rear end tomorrow and listen to what is what.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't that a symptom of pinion bearings taking a dump? Ya know the old 9.5" has bigger bearings, just saying. ;)
When we went through the rear end in 2012, the guy that was really doing the work ( I was just helping as I had throat cancer at the time) didnt want to fool with the crush sleeve so thats the only bearings we didnt change. I wanted to, but couldnt talk Him into it. I need to explore my options. Maybe I will get one from pull a part, then swap them, and build this one, then swap them back, and sale the other one, IDK yet.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When we went through the rear end in 2012, the guy that was really doing the work ( I was just helping as I had throat cancer at the time) didnt want to fool with the crush sleeve so thats the only bearings we didnt change. I wanted to, but couldnt talk Him into it. I need to explore my options. Maybe I will get one from pull a part, then swap them, and build this one, then swap them back, and sale the other one, IDK yet.

Oh, you're 5 lug I forgot. That makes it way harder to find a 9.5". If you find a guy who knows his stuff it won't take him but a couple hours with parts on hand to knock it out.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
didnt want to fool with the crush sleeve so thats the only bearings we didnt change
When/if you do, I highly recommend the "Crush Sleeve Eliminator" which uses a spacer and shims you can dial in without messing with hammering in the crush sleeve to get your pre-load. Just get a couple sacrificial pinion bearings so you can Okie-hone a slip fit to use them to set it. Then press on the new bearings.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, you're 5 lug I forgot. That makes it way harder to find a 9.5". If you find a guy who knows his stuff it won't take him but a couple hours with parts on hand to knock it out.
Yea, we have the presses at work to press the bearings, and the owner may know how to do all the set up work. If I can make about 2 more weeks, I have some time off for 5 days so that may be when I need to do the work, if I can hold out that long.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When/if you do, I highly recommend the "Crush Sleeve Eliminator" which uses a spacer and shims you can dial in without messing with hammering in the crush sleeve to get your pre-load. Just get a couple sacrificial pinion bearings so you can Okie-hone a slip fit to use them to set it. Then press on the new bearings.
I was looking at a few videos on the eliminator. Looks like the way to go.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what I got from Summit Racing a couple years ago for my 10 bolt, YMMV

Pinion Bearing TMK-M802049 Timkin Summit Racing $14.99
Pinion Bearing TMK-M88048 Timkin Summit Racing $8.99
Crush Sleeve eliminator YGA-55048 Yukon Gear Summit Racing $33.06

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, you're 5 lug I forgot. That makes it way harder to find a 9.5".

There's always the option of finding a six lug 9.5" from a C2500 and converting to the five lug 454SS axle shafts. I know the 454SS shafts will drop right in to a 2WD six lug 9.5" 14 bolt, I compared part numbers and dimensions researching this a long time ago. Never did figure out the details on the brake part interchange though.