Rear end gear ratios

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93silverado

Reaction score
Hi my name is jorge and i have a question i have two 10 bolt rear end but one is 6 lug and other is 5 lug but 6 lug have bran new lsd and 4.10 gears how hard or easy is it to swap from one to other than you for any help one is 93 obs and other is 95 obs

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have never done that swap, but I'm pretty sure, that they are the same, except the axle shafts, and by that, mean the bolt pattern. If they are both, 10 bolt, 8.5 ring gear, and 30 spline shafts, ( or is it 32 spline,,,no, 30, I think) they are the same, and will swap. If you change gear ratio, then you have to do both ring, and pinion. That means pinion preload. Get a crush sleeve eliminator kit. Your going to have to get an install kit anyway. And while your in there, may as well replace all of the bearings, and seals. I think the axle housings are the same, and if the splines are the same count, then you can just swap axle shafts. That easy. Spend some time on YouTube. That's what I did, when I rebuilt mine, in my 97 C1500. I installed an Eaton trutrack, and a set of 373 gears. With the OE hight tires I run. ( 275/60/15) the 373s are a good choice for me. I replaced and of my bearings and seals, also cost me $1100. That was a year and a half ago. But, I have a new rear end now, with limited slip and 373. Everything is new.
You must be registered for see images attach

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi my name is jorge and i have a question i have two 10 bolt rear end but one is 6 lug and other is 5 lug but 6 lug have bran new lsd and 4.10 gears how hard or easy is it to swap from one to other than you for any help one is 93 obs and other is 95 obs

You might be able to swap the 5 lug shafts and brakes to the 6 lug housing. Depends if they are the same width though. You MIGHT need a conversion U joint but probably not.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
10 bolt 6 lug is either going to be a GMT400 4x4 axle which is wider than a GMT400 5 lug, so no swapping of axle shafts. Or, it's a GMT800-up which is 8.6" vs. GMT400 8.5", maybe there were some early 800's that were 8.5? Dunno that much on the 800 side.

So to answer Jorge's question if they are both rears from GMT400 trucks then yes you should be able to swap the carrier/gears. Proper setup is crucial to the gear life though so if you haven't done a 10 bolt you'll want to read up/watch videos/etc. to see what is involved; it's a bit of an art form.

Richard