Rear end bottoming out help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike99tahoe

Reaction score
Sup peeep I recently drop my 99 four-door Tahoe my issue is the rear end is botooming out I have Impala shocks in the rear and shock extenders and it does have a c-notch if anybody can let me know what they did so they're truck what time bottom out it'll be very helpful let me know thanks its a 4/6 djm drop kit
You must be registered for see images attach

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's an easy one. Raise it back up.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one, not a fan of the drop.

Maybe clarify what is bottoming out, what situation is making it bottom out.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it hitting the bump stop? Is the collapsed length of the shock not correct, the extension can cause it to be wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well......

Shock extenders usually extend the length of the shock, hence the name extender. If the shock is too long, you will bottom out the shock before the axle is finished moving up. When you lower a vehicle, you need shorten the travel distance of the shocks, not make them longer. This is why we both asked you what part is bottoming out. Something is apparently bottoming out, meaning something is hitting something else when it shouldn't be. What part is hitting another part that shouldn't be?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Is the diff's pumpkin hitting the body?
On the trucks when a 4/6 is done, the crossmember has to be notched.
Not familiar with a 4/6 drop on an SUV, but check to see if there may be some body/diff interference.
Is there a crossmember above the diff? I wouldn't think so, so it could be the floor itself that's getting bumped.
I'd recommend the BellTech upper shock mount relocation kit as well as the lower extenders that you already have, too.

You must be registered for see images attach

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's not a lot of space under the 4 doors. I have the same DJM kit you do but used different springs (General Spring 2200 lb capacity - they're very stiff) because the stock ones were too soft once the travel was gone. I had issues with the front too though and ended up with a 1500 lb/in spring in the front vs probably 1100 lb/in for the DJM drop spring, so the truck felt very unbalanced when driven aggressively.

I'm still trying to find a good rear shock option because most drop shocks are too soft for what I'm after, and/or and too long. I actually left the C notch off of mine and just replaced the stock tall bump stops with universal Belltech progressive foam stops that were a little over an inch shorter. Reason being, allowing the travel with the notch will let the axle hit the stock exhaust, the fuel filler pipe, and possibly the floor of the truck. Also make sure you check the crossmember that runs over the driveshaft. Mine interfered on larger bumps which is a good way to break a lot of things.

The rear of your truck is very low for a Tahoe and a lot lower than mine, but I do like how it looks if you can make it work well. if not and you want to pull the back up a little, make sure you don't also have drop shackles in the rear.

600 lbs on the hitch, probably 500 lbs of stuff in the back:
You must be registered for see images

no empty shots, but one with just the bike on the back. It sits about an inch higher in the rear without it.
You must be registered for see images