Rear Disc Brake Upgrade Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've used the regular brakes for that old open diff traction trick, but never thought to use the parking brake. That's a great idea, I'd imagine it's easier to concentrate on getting freed up without having to keep your foot on the brake pedal.

Reaction score
John, I agree..... Modern cars can really stop well. That's why I have to increase my following distance a great deal when in the Suburban. Or the old Vega, or the Jeep .... Seems the only thing I have that brakes well is the old '91 Miata. Lol.

I've got new calipers/pads & rotors awaiting install, but still not liking the rear drum setup .... anticipating the same ol' non self-adjusting issues as my previous '99 (which also had a non-operating parking brake).o_O

Racer X , you should get a good picture of the rear brake mechanism on that work truck to see how it's configured or if it's been modified. If it works, it works...., lol.

John, I'm liking the idea of your 4 wheel disc brakes more and more.
That might not be a bad idea Bugdewde. The 4 wheel disc appeals to me. I suppose I would probably have to slide the axles out to get the stock backing plates off. I know nothing is ever easy lol

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
....... That's a great idea, I'd imagine it's easier to concentrate on getting freed up without having to keep your foot on the brake pedal.

Mostly because you're not fighting your front brakes when trying to move through the muck. Fronts tend to be more powerful.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
So I've been keeping tabs on this thread.
...and laughing.
Not only at the sarcasm, but also at the members that don't seem to realize that the world isn't flat.
This is what I see when I literally look out my front door.
We have 'HILLS' here! Lol!

You must be registered for see images attach

My daily's a stick-shift. A parking brake is mandatory.
If I had an automatic, I'd still use the P-brake. Not too comfortable with parking a 4500lb vehicle on the 'hills' around here with just a 1/2" wide pin stuck maybe 3/8's of an inch into a taper-shaped gear tooth.
A working P-brake is also a requirement under Canada's Motor Vehicle Act. A non-working one will get the vehicle put on a hook faster than you can say..."But, Officer...!"
Besides, brake shoes wear down. Using the P-brake ratchets up the adjusters, keeping the brakes somewhat set-up so that they work.
I say 'somewhat' as these truck's adjusters have a design flaw which prevents then from working as they should.
The teeth on the adjuster wheels are too large. They don't adjust the shoes to the point of just rubbing the drums because of the size of those teeth. The adjuster may ratchet up only 2 teeth, when a third is required, but that adjustment lever can't grab that 3rd. tooth to make up for wear because of the distance the wheel has to turn in order to keep the shoes in adjustment.
The shoes have to wear down to such a point where they are almost useless before the adjusters ratchet up.

Park pawls fail.
This car. Dad's. He bought it brand-new when he was 18. Still owns it.
15 minutes out of the body shop after a full frame-off restoration, sitting in front of the shop, and, due to a failed pawl, another vehicle rolled 200' down a 'hill' & impaled itself into Dad's '52.
Right into the passenger door/quarter panel. The damage was so severe, the insurance Co. considered writing it off. Six months of negotiations to recieve the repair payment.
Fixing that damage was more of a challenge than the whole restoration.
Park pawls fail. Period.
I would never trust one around here. Ever.

I wouldn't expect Florida flatlanders to understand, considering these are the biggest hills they ever see.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
True 'dat ......
We used to use them on open diff Jeeps and air-cooled VW Bajas & Rail Buggies to transfer torque to the non-spinning wheel ..... aka poor man's locker.

When one wheel in mud spins, progressively engage the parking brake to put resistance on the spin. That resistance is then transferred to the other axle shaft via the open diff. Takes some skill, but will get you unstuck if one wheel is on dry ground. The dreaded open diff CAN work for you, if you know how to use it.
That would be a good use of the antiquated term "Emergency Brake" or in this case "Emergency Locker" ... Lol.

John, yes I prefer the correct term "Parking Brake". That's why the release handle & the dash light has a "P" (for Park) surrounded by brake shoes. Lol.
..... Or maybe it's for P*ssies. .... Lol.

(Like I said, I like the sarcasm).

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's been called an emergency brake for a decade or two.
I am many decades old......

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It seems like it would be tough to appreciate those Florida hills from seeing them, might have to touch them to really understand.

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, John. I'm decades old as well.

Sewlow, I've only owned 4 automatic vehicles. '79 Pontiac Firebird from '82--90.
'81 Pontiac Trans Am from '15-currently
'99 Suburban (6.5 TD) from '17-'18
'95 Suburban (K2500) since April.

The other 50 or so vehicles I've owned have all been manuals. Needless to say, Parking Brakes were a must in most ALL my cars up here in the "hills".

I applaud John for doing this swap and all his help in providing parts and experience in doing this swap. I hope to have some great brakes soon.

Here's the '95 manual describing the "Torque Lock" issue with not using the parking brake while on a hill steep enough to bind up the pawl.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have torqued locked many in my day but try not to do it...but never broke a pawl and I have millions of miles of travel. Pulled more 5th wheels and tag trailers than I ever thought I would racing cars from one end of the country to the other.......and never had an issue with a Pawl breaking. I dont think it was luck but rather it takes an awful lot to break one. I will continue to not use a 'Parking Brake" so I will continue to be a " very dangerous man" Not that I am against them and if you feel more secure with an extra diaper on then you should wear one.

But do try some JB6 calipers and check the brake pressure at the bleeder and install the correct master cyl that will give you about 1100 pounds at the front and back caliper otherwise you will be known as a "very dangerous man"

PS I talked to the company I purchased the rear kit from and he had no idea how to check the caliper pressure and thought the stock MC was fine...This is his advice to his customers.
I was very disappointed that you have a company that sells brake kits that really has very little knowledge of brake systems......disappointing

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
One issue with the E-Brake/Parking Brake is that the cable can freeze in the winter. I have had this happen on 2 vehicles in my driving career. 1 of them is my 89 GMT400. I have a manual 5 speed. While I do use the parking brake in the summer I will not use it in freezing weather. First winter I had this truck the cable froze and it took me 5 tries to rock the truck to pop the brakes loose. Back in the early 90’s I had a car that the first 3 times it froze I was able to rock the car to release the parking brake. The 4th time I had to get a ride home and go back later in the afternoon to get my car. After that I never used the parking brake.

I do not like that the brake cable can hold water and freezes in the winter time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk