Rear diff fill plug? NPT plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ain't all folks teachable, sir. At best, you can "condition" some of them. :anitoof:

Richard
True. But a decent human being will at least try to limit the carnage.

Yeah, you can't fix stupid, AND stupid should hurt! :deal:
Also true, but it's not "equitable", it's not politically-correct, it's exactly why the USA should END "Welfare", (we're actively preventing people from learning from their mistakes) and CAUSING it to hurt will get you sued.

But if a person tried to warn 'em, and it hurts of it's own accord...I don't see how that person is liable.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get me started on crappy open-end wrenches that spread like a pros_titute when used to remove Detroit Diesel fuel fittings.
When I was starting out I had a set of parts store "Evercraft" wrenches. They were the slippin-est set of wrenches I ever used. They never met a bolt they didn't try to round.

As a dealer tech, I bought a set of Snap-On Flank Drive wrenches back when they were just expensive - $250 for 10mm - 19mm. Now they're f*ing outrageously priced. I mean, they're $480, and $250 in 1998 dollars is nearly $480, but wages didn't go up in that time, so now they're outrageous. When I was still in the Air Force, we had to update our toolboxes and I insisted on Snap-On Flank Drives because the AF can afford it, and we needed quality tools. It was a wise decision. Detroits were our bread and butter.

A couple years ago I finally replaced my piecemeal set of standard wrenches with a set of Harbor Freight wrenches, and I have to say, they're pretty decent wrenches, especially for the price.

it's exactly why the USA should END "Welfare"
Compared to the '80s, they've pretty much ended welfare, and now they just spend all that money on bank bailouts.

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHY do i not look on this forum whenever something is hinky? I am gonna go with " i am not too bright". Guess who tried to get the fill plug out this morning with a 3/8 extension and faceplanted? that would be ME! Stripped it like a champ. Went and got a map torch and set of npt nipple removers $10 for the set at HF get your mind out of the gutter people! :) ) and will give it a shot next week. Building character in the 305!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I still hold to my reasoning for getting an external square replacement plug in any rear differential. Anything internal square or hex gets caked with mud then holds water and salt and turns to rusty concrete. A big 9/16 external square wont strip even with the cheapest Chinese wrenches.